• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult adoption of nephew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is why I am trying to muddle through on. What other means are there?

The nephew is over 18, the niece will be 18 in about a year. What you don't know is that my mom has tried everything legally to help with these kids. I don't have a ton of financial means to legally fight their parents. I have been there through the years for them as much as I could be.

It's not about "sticking it the parents", its about taking care of these two before my mom gets too old to and if, god forbid, my mom should pass away before the niece is 18, that there will some legal legwork done.
Once the "children" are adults, there's nothing that you can do that would require you to be their parent. They are ADULTS and can manage their own affairs. Even if you do adopt them, they are STILL adults.

You're not going to be able to adopt the 17 year old over the wishes of the parents.

I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish. I understand you have an emotional desire to do the adoption, and that's fine. Beyond that, what do you think you can do if you adopt them that can't be done if you don't adopt them?

Zigner

Yes, I do. You don't know the whole situation. Which I am not going to give every little detail of this. All I asked, what are the legal ramifications of adult adoption. I got the answers I needed. I will sit down with the nephew and explain to him to ramifications of this and then we will decide if we all agree upon it.
YOU don't even understand the ramifications, how can you expect to explain it to him?

eerelations

I really don't understand this. OP can help and protect her nephew all she wants without having to go through the time and financial expense it will cost to adopt him. Why does she want to go through all this unnecessary hassle?

LdiJ

I really don't understand this. OP can help and protect her nephew all she wants without having to go through the time and financial expense it will cost to adopt him. Why does she want to go through all this unnecessary hassle?
I do not think that she understands things at all...I am not sure that she truly even understands what an adoption is. She certainly cannot seem to articulate exactly why she thinks its even needed.

Zigner

Agreed.
If the OP had responded to my (multiple) questions with something along the lines of "my nephew and I have discussed this at length and we both really want me to be his 'mom' because we love each other as a parent loves a child and a child loves a parent", then I'd say she should just have at it. They both have the right to do this if they want. However, the OP seems to think that there's going to be some sort of huge change, legally speaking, and that just ain't so. Sure, there are some things that will change, but not things that couldn't be dealt with in other ways that are cheaper and easier.

BeckBoo

Agreed.
If the OP had responded to my (multiple) questions with something along the lines of "my nephew and I have discussed this at length and we both really want me to be his 'mom' because we love each other as a parent loves a child and a child loves a parent", then I'd say she should just have at it. They both have the right to do this if they want. However, the OP seems to think that there's going to be some sort of huge change, legally speaking, and that just ain't so. Sure, there are some things that will change, but not things that couldn't be dealt with in other ways that are cheaper and easier.
I am at work right now, so it is difficult to respond in a timely manner sometimes. So excuse the delay in responding.
Maybe I am not articulating what I am trying to accomplish correctly. You summed it up pretty well. My nephew has said he considers me more his mom than my sister. He was the one to approach me with the idea of adoption. Maybe I am not "getting it". All I wanted to know was the legal ramifications of this. I now know most of what will happen. Not much at all, legally speaking.

So thank you for the responses.

Zigner

I am at work right now, so it is difficult to respond in a timely manner sometimes. So excuse the delay in responding.
Maybe I am not articulating what I am trying to accomplish correctly. You summed it up pretty well. My nephew has said he considers me more his mom than my sister. He was the one to approach me with the idea of adoption. Maybe I am not "getting it". All I wanted to know was the legal ramifications of this. I now know most of what will happen. Not much at all, legally speaking.

So thank you for the responses.
Ok, you both want to do this because you love each other. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">