• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult adoption reversal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jondormish

Does anyone know if an adoption is reversible? Or is a name change the only alternative?

My state is Ohio.

Last edited:

nextwife

Do you wish to disrupt an adoption you have done, or are you the adoptee trying to undo the adoption your parents did when you were a child? To not be their son? Or are you merely trying to take back your birth name?

J

jondormish

Mine was an adult adoption done when I was 18. I am trying to undo the adoption. I am sure that cannot be done. I would guess that taking my birth name back would be my only option.

nextwife

Whew! I'm not an attorney. I would think the simplest course of action would be a name change, as you are an adult and need not have anyone but the court consent.

And disruption with your adoptive parents, were they to consent, would not return the parental rights of the previous parents, to my understanding, if that is what you are trying to accomplish. Their rights were terminated either prior to the adoption or by the adoption

Best wishes.

J

jondormish

Thanks for the reply.
I consented to my own adoption at the age of eighteen.
I was not adult enough to do so without considering the ramifications then and now!
I know that even if the adoption could be "dissolved" that it would not "reinstate" my birth parents.
But if you don't ask for advise or information, you may never know.
I figured some time back that a name change was my only option.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">