• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption- Termination of parental rights required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

craxeldog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My 18 y.o. niece recently informed my brother (her father) that her stepfather had adopted her, and she is now using his last name. I suspect she might have obtained a legal name change, but I don't think her stepfather could have adopted her without my brother either consenting or having his rights terminated. Can anyone tell me how it works in GA?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My 18 y.o. niece recently informed my brother (her father) that her stepfather had adopted her, and she is now using his last name. I suspect she might have obtained a legal name change, but I don't think her stepfather could have adopted her without my brother either consenting or having his rights terminated. Can anyone tell me how it works in GA?
A competent adult does not need the consent of a parent to be adopted.

craxeldog

Even if her father is still living? The parent/child relationship can just be ended, without his consent?

mommyof4

Even if her father is still living? The parent/child relationship can just be ended, without his consent?

Yes, because the parent has no legal control over the adult child as long as that child is mentally competent.

That's what being a grown up gets ya'.

craxeldog

I realize she is an adult, but I thought the "parent/child" relationship was a legal relationship, and as such, both parties would have rights that would have to terminate prior to entering into another such legal relationship. The fact that one party can unilaterally terminate it by choosing another parent does not seem fair to the original parent.

Silverplum

I realize she is an adult, but I thought the "parent/child" relationship was a legal relationship, and as such, both parties would have rights that would have to terminate prior to entering into another such legal relationship. The fact that one party can unilaterally terminate it by choosing another parent does not seem fair to the original parent.
Write your congresspeople.

mommyof4

There is no longer a legal 'parent'**child' relationship as there is no 'child' as defined by the law.

craxeldog

There is no longer a legal 'parent'**child' relationship as there is no 'child' as defined by the law.
Okay, now I'm starting to see it- thanks for the clarification. So, the legal parent/child relationship terminates by definition when the "child" reaches age of majority, correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I haven't been to the fair in a long long time. I used to like it...it had that big slide and the hammerhead ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">