• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After 24 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadsgirl3

What is the name of your state? IL

I am 24 years old. When my mom found out I was pregnant, my "father" left her and did not want anything to do with me. She meet my "dad" and he has been there for both of us since I was a newborn. Their is no one on my birth certificate. My dad now wants to put his name on it, something that should have been done a long time ago. Does this go under "adoption" since my "real father" has never even seen me and is not my birth record?

I was adopted by my "dad"

Well the only info I can give you is from my own personal knowledge. I am not a lawyer.

I was 3 when my mom met the man I call my dad. He is the one who raised and supported me. I am now 26. My biological father was very abusive and my mom left him. His parental rights were terminated. My mother then had to legally place me up for adoption for my dad to put his name on the birth certificate.
You are now an adult. Though adult adoptions are rare they do occur usually for these reasons. You should contact a lawyer to do the paperwork, however. Basically, after you place yourself up for adoption your mother and your stepfather/dad can then adopt you putting his name on your birth certificate.

brisgirl825

Are your mom and step-dad married?

Your step-father can do a step-parent adoption. Since you are an adult, it doesn't require your bio-father's permission. This will action amend your birth certificate and make him your legal father.

GL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">