• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annuling an Adoption??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anythingartzy

What is the name of your state? GA

I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 13 without my consent or knowledge. This was 20 years ago when my mother remarried! However, I have maintained a loving relationship with my biological father. (Long story of how he was forced into signing over all his parental rights).My step father and I never got along, subsequently, my mother divorced him 15 years ago and I have not seen or heard from him since. Nor has he made any contact with my younger sister. I was told that in order to reverse the adoption, my bio father would have to adopt me! How weird is that! Anyway, I sent a court order to GA Vital Records dept to open my records and produce a copy of my original birth certificate. I received it, but, there's a huge stamp in the middle of it "cancelled by adoption." When I called Vital records to inquire about gaining a copy without the stamp, they told me that the records were sealed and the only way to get my original birth certificate activated was to have the adoption annuled. Is this REALLY possible, and how do I start this process if it is? What a concept!!! That would solve a lot of problems and would allow me a lot of closure in my life if this is possible!

:confused: Lisa:eek:

Last edited:

CMSC

First of all, they didn't need your consent for you to be adopted.
Your birth father could adopt you. But being you are an adult, I don't know what the chances are of a judge doing it.
Your bio dad could call an attorney and ask for a free consultation just to see if he could adopt you.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">