• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any scenarios where adoption can be reversed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broken14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I ask this because my situation is very unusual. My ex wanted her new husband to adopt my 10 year old son. Eventually she got her way and let her go through with it. A few years later my ex is murdered by this man. My ex deceased, Her husband in jail for it. Family on my ex side is not much and his side is a mother and father who currently have my son. Their has to be a way. Plz .. Also I have always stayed in contact with my son(phone calls and social media).

Silverplum

I ask this because my situation is very unusual. My ex wanted her new husband to adopt my 10 year old son. Eventually she got her way and let her go through with it. A few years later my ex is murdered by this man. My ex deceased, Her husband in jail for it. Family on my ex side is not much and his side is a mother and father who currently have my son. Their has to be a way. Plz .. Also I have always stayed in contact with my son(phone calls and social media).
What is the name of your US state? In which US state does the child live?

Proserpina

The problem is that this is not actually your child. While I understand the problem, it is what it is. The child is with his legal grandparents, and you cannot reverse the adoption.

ecmst12

Especially if you agreed to the adoption in the first place (as opposed to it being ordered over your objections).

Broken14

Thank you but I refuse to accept that. What the child wants and what the child's best interest is Has to be at least considered? Sounds like I'm gonna need a good lawyer.

latigo

I ask this because my situation is very unusual. My ex wanted her new husband to adopt my 10 year old son. Eventually she got her way and let her go through with it. A few years later my ex is murdered by this man. My ex deceased, Her husband in jail for it. Family on my ex side is not much and his side is a mother and father who currently have my son. Their has to be a way. Plz .. Also I have always stayed in contact with my son . . . . .
The situation is in deed unfortunate. But at the same time it is not "your situation" The boy is not your son. There is no parent/child relationship existing between you and the boy.

Furthermore the adoption cannot be reversed, overturned, nullified, annulled, rescinded, set aside, vacate or unwound! Steps could be taken to involuntarily terminate the parent/child relationship between the boy and his incarcerated father, but you have no legal standing to promulgate a severance of that relationship.

It seems that you have either chosen to disregard the legal consequences of the adoption as permanently severing all ties between you and the child or mistakenly believe that the courts are empowered to monitor and hold force over the relationship created by the adoption.

Broken14

The situation is in deed unfortunate. But at the same time it is not "your situation" The boy is not your son. There is no parent/child relationship existing between you and the boy.

Furthermore the adoption cannot be reversed, overturned, nullified, annulled, rescinded, set aside, vacate or unwound! Steps could be taken to involuntarily terminate the parent/child relationship between the boy and his incarcerated father, but you have no legal standing to promulgate a severance of that relationship.

It seems that you have either chosen to disregard the legal consequences of the adoption as permanently severing all ties between you and the child or mistakenly believe that the courts are empowered to monitor and hold force over the relationship created by the adoption.
Huh. Once again all law talk but nothing about the interest of the child here? Gots to mean some thing. The boy is not my son? BS he is a spitting image of me he refers to me as dad. We've always maintained a relationship and its not his fault his mom pushed so hard for some papers that was suppose to make some psycho satisfied.Maybe the financial threats (documented) can be of use. Has there never been an adoption overturned? or better yet doesn't even have to be overturned just put into the custody of his own blood. Is he suppose to live in a house where the man who murdered his mom pictures hang on the wall. A constant reminder of the trauma he's been thru. I don't know nothing about the laws but I know morals and leaving any child in that scenario against his will doesn't sound beneficial to him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

You can accept it or not. But the boy is no longer yours. When he turns 18? He can decide to sever those ties and have you adopt him.

Proserpina

Huh. Once again all law talk but nothing about the interest of the child here? Gots to mean some thing. The boy is not my son? BS he is a spitting image of me he refers to me as dad. We've always maintained a relationship and its not his fault his mom pushed so hard for some papers that was suppose to make some psycho satisfied.Maybe the financial threats (documented) can be of use. Has there never been an adoption overturned? or better yet doesn't even have to be overturned just put into the custody of his own blood. Is he suppose to live in a house where the man who murdered his mom pictures hang on the wall. A constant reminder of the trauma he's been thru. I don't know nothing about the laws but I know morals and leaving any child in that scenario against his will doesn't sound beneficial to him.

You don't appear to understand what you're being told.

He is not your son.

He is not your son.

You don't even have standing to file for visitation. I have just as many rights to the child as you.

"Best interests" doesn't enter the equation - why? Because a) you're not the parent, b) you do not have any sort of legal relationship to the child and c) you still have no standing to do anything at all.

Being bull-headed is a waste of your energy.

Proserpina

Actually, I didn't address this fully.

Based purely on THIS post (of yours), you've expressed quite well that you don't have his best interests at heart.

Broken14

You don't appear to understand what you're being told.

He is not your son.

He is not your son.

You don't even have standing to file for visitation. I have just as many rights to the child as you.

"Best interests" doesn't enter the equation - why? Because a) you're not the parent, b) you do not have any sort of legal relationship to the child and c) you still have no standing to do anything at all.

Being bull-headed is a waste of your energy.
Your telling me there is no hope. Where is the energy better spent then

Proserpina

Honestly? that's a call you'll have to make.

Some would make an attempt at contacting the grandparents to see if you can help in some way. Others might think this is not the best choice.

Given your absolute disdain of his DEAD mother, I'd be keeping the child as far away from you as is humanly possible.

The boy is not my son? BS he is a spitting image of me he refers to me as dad. We've always maintained a relationship and its not his fault his mom pushed so hard for some papers that was suppose to make some psycho satisfied.

But that's just me. YMMV.

Of course it's also a little silly to criticize Mom when you consented to the same adoption.

single317dad

Maintaining a good relationship with the child's grandparents so you can be a positive influence in his life?

While you're no longer the boy's father, you can still guide him to manhood.

It would also go a long way toward your redemption in my eyes, if that matters at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">