• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona Adult Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingInAz

What is the name of your state? AZ

I am getting ready to start the process of adopting my 18-year-old step-daughter who has been living with me and my wife for the past 13 years since we've gotten married. We have received the adoption package from the probate court and are stumbling over one issue.
In the package, it asks for the natural father who has never had contact and whom my wife does not want to get involved. The Arizona statue says that "a notice of hearing must be served to any interested persons". Can we not name the natural father on the form and thus not send a Notice of Hearing?
I was under the impression that the Adult Adoption would be simpler which is a reason why we waited until she turned 18. Can we proceed with the Adult Adoption even if we do not want to name the natural father? It says no consent other than from the adopter, the spouse, and the adoptee is required, yet they require other persons to be notified?

Thanks for any help or guidance on this (seems to me) Arizona specific question.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? AZ

I am getting ready to start the process of adopting my 18-year-old step-daughter who has been living with me and my wife for the past 13 years since we've gotten married. We have received the adoption package from the probate court and are stumbling over one issue.
In the package, it asks for the natural father who has never had contact and whom my wife does not want to get involved. The Arizona statue says that "a notice of hearing must be served to any interested persons". Can we not name the natural father on the form and thus not send a Notice of Hearing?
I was under the impression that the Adult Adoption would be simpler which is a reason why we waited until she turned 18. Can we proceed with the Adult Adoption even if we do not want to name the natural father? It says no consent other than from the adopter, the spouse, and the adoptee is required, yet they require other persons to be notified?

Thanks for any help or guidance on this (seems to me) Arizona specific question.
I would get a consult with a local adoption attorney. I am familiar with several adult adoptions and the natural parents were not required to be notified, but none of those were in AZ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">