• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Becoming the guardian/adopting siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InNeedofAdvice-

First off, I am from the state of Virginia, now onto my problem.

Recently social services have decided that my mother was not capable of taking care of my younger brother and sister for some reason (they're 14 and 16 respectively), that can be acredited to her mental disorders (which she's been going to therapy and seeing a doctor for the past 6-7 years). As untrue as their reasons were, they took my brother out of school and came to the house to take my sister. They came in with a police officier and did a once over of our home looking for her (to no avail). They then proceeded to ask where she was, we refused/didn't/wouldn't tell them.

There's a short background story. What I want to know is what I would have to go through to adopt/become my younger siblings legal guardian (I'm 22 years of age), and how difficult it would be or what other options (if any) that I may have available.Thank you for your time reading this and any replies in advance.

seniorjudge

InNeedofAdvice- said:
First off, I am from the state of Virginia, now onto my problem.

Recently social services have decided that my mother was not capable of taking care of my younger brother and sister for some reason (they're 14 and 16 respectively), that can be acredited to her mental disorders (which she's been going to therapy and seeing a doctor for the past 6-7 years). As untrue as their reasons were, they took my brother out of school and came to the house to take my sister. They came in with a police officier and did a once over of our home looking for her (to no avail). They then proceeded to ask where she was, we refused/didn't/wouldn't tell them.

There's a short background story. What I want to know is what I would have to go through to adopt/become my younger siblings legal guardian (I'm 22 years of age), and how difficult it would be or what other options (if any) that I may have available.Thank you for your time reading this and any replies in advance.
Hire a lawyer and petition the court for guardianship.

That's the only way you will find out if you can succeed.

InNeedofAdvice-

I'm inquiring as to what they'll be looking for to determine that. (I apologize if I didn't make that clear.) If I had the finances to hire a lawyer, I would've already done so (this forum is for free advice, right?) Thank you for your fast reply.

InNeedofAdvice- said:
I'm inquiring as to what they'll be looking for to determine that. (I apologize if I didn't make that clear.) If I had the finances to hire a lawyer, I would've already done so (this forum is for free advice, right?) Thank you for your fast reply.
Yes it is. And your free advice is that you need an attorney. ;)

Also, no offense intended, but if you do not have the money for a lawyer, how do you expect to have the money to care for your siblings? Also, when you do get involved, they will not be happy to hear that you tried to impede their investigation by refusing to give them your mother's whereabouts.

InNeedofAdvice-

There's a big difference in hiring a lawyer and supporting my siblings (which I may add I've been helping out and doing for sometime now since my father has been in prison).

They know my mother's whereabouts, its my sister that my mother refused to give the whereabouts of (I wasn't involved in this).

Thanks for the advice, even though I could've gotten that from a 10 year old.

BlondiePB

InNeedofAdvice- said:
There's a big difference in hiring a lawyer and supporting my siblings (which I may add I've been helping out and doing for sometime now since my father has been in prison).

They know my mother's whereabouts, its my sister that my mother refused to give the whereabouts of (I wasn't involved in this).

Thanks for the advice, even though I could've gotten that from a 10 year old.
Guardians usually require an attorney per state statutes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You may not like the advice that you've been given, but the reality of the situation is that you need an attorney to even have a shot. And be aware (both you and your mother) that SS will track down your sister and the fact that the family refused to cooperate will not cause anyone in a position of authority (such as the judge) to look at any placement with you favorably.

In addition, it would seem that you live with your Mom - it's unlikely that the authorities will place the children back into a home they've deemed unfit w/o a lot of hoop jumping by all the adults living there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">