• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BIG Mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethanyw1

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My son is 8 years old. His biological father & I were never married and his name was never on the child's birth certificate. The last time he saw him was on his 2nd birthday. My new husband wanted to adopt him. I called and asked the bio-father, and he said no. We hired an attorney, the bio-father was served papers, but never showed up to court.
My husband & I have since divorced. The child had no idea that he had been adopted by the step-dad until recently.
I understand that the adoption is final. My question is this: The child has asked about his "real" father and wants to meet him. Can my ex-husband, who is legally the child's father object to this?
Also, since he was never on the birth certificate, and did not attend court....I am assuming his rights were forfeited (spelling?)??????
The step/legal father is in & out of the picture. I realize I made a HUGE mistake, but can he stop any contact between the bio-father & the child?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

bethanyw1 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My son is 8 years old. His biological father & I were never married and his name was never on the child's birth certificate. The last time he saw him was on his 2nd birthday. My new husband wanted to adopt him. I called and asked the bio-father, and he said no. We hired an attorney, the bio-father was served papers, but never showed up to court.
My husband & I have since divorced. The child had no idea that he had been adopted by the step-dad until recently.
I understand that the adoption is final. My question is this: The child has asked about his "real" father and wants to meet him. Can my ex-husband, who is legally the child's father object to this?
Also, since he was never on the birth certificate, and did not attend court....I am assuming his rights were forfeited (spelling?)??????
The step/legal father is in & out of the picture. I realize I made a HUGE mistake, but can he stop any contact between the bio-father & the child?What is the name of your state?
Yes, the biological father's rights were terminated when the adoption took place. The biological father is now a legal stranger to the child.

The legal father really can't say who is allowed or not allowed to see your child during your time.....however, there is some chance that a judge might prohibit you from having the biological father around your child if the legal father petitions the court to prohibit that. I don't think its likely, but I think its possible.

bethanyw1

Thanks. I appreciate your response.

The chances of the legal father petitioning the court are slim to none. He is facing SERIOUS charges, and is facing a prison sentance.

bononos

Just to clarify for myself. The child IS adopted, correct?
First, you mention only that bio-dad didn't appear, no mention of ruling by judge or adoption papers, then ask about forfeiting (sp too) rights?
Is step-dad on BC and did adoption actually take place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">