• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bio Father and child want to reverse adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1zecadon

What is the name of your state? Colorado.
Four years ago, my ex-wife and her husband moved, with my eight-year-old daughter, out of state. They then petitioned to hve the new husband adopt my daughter. I objected, but a Guardian ad Litum was appointed, as my ex-wife began accusing me of not utilizing my visitation rights. In truth, she continually denied me visits, then moved to New Mexico, making it virtually impossible to have my scheduled visitations.
My ex-wife then said that all the legal battles were giving my daughter mental stress, and she had been placed on psychological medications. She also claimed my daughter had acquired ulcers, due to the stress I had placed upon her. My daughter, through what I feel was "brain-washing" and manipulation, began saying that she, too, wanted the adoption. After a lengthy battle, and hearing the things my daughter was saying, and considering all of the alleged emotional and physical problems she was experiencing as a result, I finally agreed to sign the papers. Since then, beginning almost three years ago, my daughter has expressed her desire to overturn the adoption, and have my parental rights restored. Currently, my ex-wife and her husband have divorced, and she and my daughter have returned to my town. Her ex-husband is still in New Mexico. My daughter and I both want the adoption overturned, but her mother, still upset with me, refuses to assist. What can I do? My daughter, fourteen now, says she realizes her mother lied about things in the past. My daughter also revealed that tests in the past proved she never had even one ulcer, and that her Mom co-erced her into saying that she(my daughter) wanted the adoption. My heart is breaking, because I truly love her, and have a wonderful home and new family that she wants to be a part of. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do?

Seanscott

What a heartbreaking mess.

The courts recognize the dad as being the man in New Mexico. When the adoption was completed, you lost all your rights as a parent. If he refuses to give up his rights, there is not much any of you can do. Even he wants to do this, I don't know if the court would listen to you.

One possibility is to wait until your daughter turns 18 and then she can start some legal action.

This is a rough situation and you really need to go to a good family attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">