• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological Father's Family - Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jess77

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I know that in adoption cases grandparents have certain rights but I'm curious about the rights of other family members. The situation is a little complicated but I will try to explain is as best as I can: The biological father (Canadian Citizen) is deceased; the biological mother moved to Massachusetts and re-married. The step-father now wants to adopt the 2 boys. The mother informed me that once the adoption is complete, if she died the step-father would have the rights to the children. Is this true? Would the biological father's family have any rights at all to at least visit the children? I'm worried that the step-father would break the ties between the children and their father's family. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

brisgirl825

Yes, step-dad would get the children, as he would be their legal father giving him all rights and responsibilities to them.
Grandparents could try to sue for visits, but it is very hard and expensive to win.

GL.

Seanscott

When the child is adopted he has a new father as well as a new set of grandparents, cousins, etc.
Simply put - When biodad loses his rights he is no longer the father and his parents are no longer the grandparents. They will have to go to court and prove that they were a constant in the child's life in order to have any chance at all for visitation.

nextwife

Jess77 said:
The biological father (Canadian Citizen) is deceased;
Seanscott said:
When biodad loses his rights.....
For the record, biodad did NOT "lose his rights" - he died. They have lost their son, they do not want to also lose their grandkids.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">