• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth mother wants baby back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWatson

What is the name of your state? Florida
Less than two weeks ago, my husband and I went to the hospital and brought home our new baby. We instantly boned with the baby. We got a call from the adoption attorney tonight who informed us that the birth mother wants the baby back. Stated she thinks she made a mistake. The birth mother is married, but her husband is not the bio father, she doesn't know who the bio father is. Her husband signed away his rights, as did she at the hospital, after she was released. Our attorney was present, along with the hospital social worker.
How long can this go on for? What are the chances of us having to return the baby? What steps do my husband and I need to take to keep this child? Do we need another attorney besides our adoption attorney? Please help.:( :(

You send me!

RWatson said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
Less than two weeks ago, my husband and I went to the hospital and brought home our new baby. We instantly boned with the baby. We got a call from the adoption attorney tonight who informed us that the birth mother wants the baby back. Stated she thinks she made a mistake. The birth mother is married, but her husband is not the bio father, she doesn't know who the bio father is. Her husband signed away his rights, as did she at the hospital, after she was released. Our attorney was present, along with the hospital social worker.
How long can this go on for? What are the chances of us having to return the baby? What steps do my husband and I need to take to keep this child? Do we need another attorney besides our adoption attorney? Please help.:( :(

My response:

There's nothing you can do, and no attorney can change anything. If the bio-mother wants the child back, she has that right - - within a certain amount of time. This was all explained to you, so it shouldn't be a shock.

IAAL

RWatson

We were told that if the birth mother could prove she was forced or pressured to sign away her rights, then she could possiblity come back. She wasn't forced by anyone and have this in writing. Now we have have this baby for nearly two weeks and she decides she wants it back because her family is now pressuring her to get it back. It's not right and should be illegal.
Please help! How can we fight this? We are just sick about the whole thing.

BelizeBreeze

RWatson said:
We were told that if the birth mother could prove she was forced or pressured to sign away her rights, then she could possiblity come back. She wasn't forced by anyone and have this in writing. Now we have have this baby for nearly two weeks and she decides she wants it back because her family is now pressuring her to get it back. It's not right and should be illegal.
Please help! How can we fight this? We are just sick about the whole thing.
Read your contract and then read the relevant state law. You'll find out what you were 'TOLD' is crap.

By the way, who is this person or person(s) who "TOLD" you this?

You send me!

My further response:

How difficult do you think it will be to prove duress, despite what the bio-mother signed? Not much is needed.

IAAL

S

scaredformyson

she is no longer the child's mother

according to florida law, once the consent is signed, it is irrevokable. so the bm is out of luck, she can fight all she wants, but someone should have explained to her that once she signed the consent, she can never change her mind and try to get the baby back. legally, she is no longer the mother of the child.

Just Blue

scaredformyson said:
according to florida law, once the consent is signed, it is irrevokable. so the bm is out of luck, she can fight all she wants, but someone should have explained to her that once she signed the consent, she can never change her mind and try to get the baby back. legally, she is no longer the mother of the child.
Oh shut the f*** up Kelly...You don't know what your talking about! Don't you have a dead relative to dig up or something?

S

scaredformyson

you dont know anything bayststegirl so CRAM IT

no you shut the f&&& up. the adoption laws for all 50 states can be found in the adoption resource book, so take that and cram it up your a**

rmet4nzkx

scaredformyson said:
no you shut the f&&& up. the adoption laws for all 50 states can be found in the adoption resource book, so take that and cram it up your a**
Kelly, you need to behave yourself and quit posting on these forums.

S

scaredformyson

bug off

first of all, my name isnt kelly, second, i gave the correct answer, but your little friend refuses to see that.

Just Blue

scaredformyson said:

How many time do you have to be banned before you get it?? 100? 200?...You are one sick chick! period!:mad:

AHA

scaredformyson said:
first of all, my name isnt kelly,
Riiight, that's why your first reaction was profanities instead of "Who is Kelly and why are you calling me that?"!!!!!!!

nextwife

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/fl_law.htm
Florida Adoption Statute Summary

Florida Statutes Sections 63.012 to 63.301 (1997)

Who Can Adopt?
The following people whose primary residence and place of employment are in Florida may adopt:
1. an unmarried adult, including the birth parent;
2. a husband and wife jointly; or
3. an unmarried minor birth parent.
A stepparent may adopt without his spouse joining in the adoption as long as the spouse consents to the adoption. A married person may adopt without the other spouse if the spouse's failure to consent is excused by the court.

In the case of a special needs child, Florida residency is not required. A homosexual may not adopt. No person can be prohibited from adopting solely because he or she is handicapped, unless the Department of Children and Familes determines that the handicap makes him or her incapable of being an effective parent.

Who Can Be Adopted?
Any person can be adopted.

Consent to Adoption
Written consent is required of the following people:
1. the mother of the adoptee;
2. the father of the adoptee if
a. the child was conceived or born while he was married to the mother,
b. he has adopted the child
c. the court determined the child is his,
d. he has acknowledged and filed a writing that he is the child's father, or
e. he has provided the child with support in a repetitive customary manner;
3. the adoptee, if older than 12 years of age, unless the court waives the adoptee's consent; and
4. any person entitled to custody of the child, if so required by the court;
5. If, due to previously terminated parental rights, a child is placed in a licensed child-placing agency or by the Department of Children and Familes, consent may be given by such agency or the Department.
Consent is not required of the following people:
1. a parent who has deserted a child, whose parental rights have been terminated, or who has been declared incompetent;
2. a legal guardian or lawful custodian who has not responded in writing to a request for consent for a period of 60 days, or who has unreasonably withheld consent; or
3. the spouse of the adoptee, if the spouse's failure to consent is excused by the court, or if the spouse has unreasonably withheld consent.
A good-faith and diligent effort must be made to obtain consent within 60 days after filing the petition. Consent is binding from the time it is given, unless the court finds that it was obtained by fraud or duress.

Confidentiality
All adoption hearings are held in closed court. All papers pertaining to the adoption are subject to inspection only upon a court order. All available nonidentifying information, including the medical and social history of the adoptee and the birth parents, must be furnished to the adoptive parents prior to finalization of the adoption, and to the adoptee (upon his request) after he reaches adulthood. Additional nonidentifying information that becomes available after the adoption has been finalized must also be furnished to the adoptive parent.

Identifying information regarding the birth parent, adoptive parent, or adoptee cannot be released from the record unless the birth parents give written authorization for release of information pertaining to themselves. An adult adoptee or his adoptive parents may consent to the release of this information. In the absence of consent the court can examine the circumstances and, for good cause, will release identifying information of the above-mentioned parties without their consent.

The State also maintains a voluntary registry of adoption information. Persons wishing to participate may voluntarily submit identifying information,with the identity of persons entitled to see this information clearly identified. At any time the person may revoke, limit, or restrict this consent to release of information.

Permissible Fees
All fees paid to intermediaries (attorney or physicians licensed to practice in Florida, or out-of-State licensed agency) must be submitted for prior approval to the court. The report of fees must include any expenses incurred in connection with the adoption. Any fees over $1,000, other than fees paid for medical costs, court costs, and hospital costs, must be approved by the court. When an intermediary uses the services of a licensed child-placing agency, the adoptive parent must pay for the cost of all services performed. It is unlawful to sell or surrender, or to arrange for the sale or surrender of a child to another person for money or anything of value or to receive a child for payment or anything of value.

The prospective adoptive parent may pay for actual prenatal care and living expenses of the mother for a reasonable time, not to exceed 6 weeks after the birth, if medical needs require such.

Place of Adoption Hearing
The adoption hearing may take place in the county where the adoptive parent or child resides or where the adoption agency is located. However, if a hearing in such a county could endanger the privacy of the adoptive parent or the child, then the hearing can occur in a court in a different county.

Authority To Place Child
The Department of Children and Familes, licensed child welfare agencies, and intermediaries (licensed attorneys and physicians) may place children. A final home investigation conducted by a licensed child-placing agency must be conducted before the adoption becomes final. If no such agency exists, the Department of Children and Familes or a licensed professional may conduct the investigation. Numerous restrictions are placed on intermediaries, including limits or fees and requirements to report to the Department the result of studies. Failure to heed these requirements can result in a court's prohibiting the intermediary from placing children in the future.

Relative Adoption
If a child has lived with a grandparent for at least 6 months, the agency handling an adoption petition will notify the grandparent of this fact. The grandparent may then petition to adopt and shall receive first priority, unless contrary to the terms in a deceased parent's will or the adoption is sought by a stepparent.

The preliminary home study is not required in an adoption by a relative or stepparent, unless required by the court.

rmet4nzkx

scaredformyson said:
first of all, my name isnt kelly, second, i gave the correct answer, but your little friend refuses to see that.
See Kelly, Nextwife gave the correct answer for FL.

S

scaredformyson

i was right all along

sig. thats what i said in my post. see the bold print in nextwife's post? it says consent is binding at the time it was giving unless it was giving by fraud or duress, which there is no evidence of, that means the birth mother CANNOT change her mind. legally, the child is no longer hers. you all owe me an apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">