• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birthdate Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KEAC

I currently live in Virginia. I was internationally adopted at age 4 1/2. At that time, the Indian government "gave" me a birthdate based on when I came to the orphange.

Now that I'm an adult, I would like to change my birthdate to reflect the date I actually came to the United States. I can keep the same year, so my age does not change..just the date.

Is this legally possible and if so, how do I go about changing the date? A friend of mine who is a judge said I should contact a lawyer about the availability of doing this and that I would also need to go through Vital Statistics. I saw people online who have done this, but nobody tells how to do it. I only see if you want to change your NAME not a BIRTHDATE, as I want to do.

I can argue that the Birthdate is "false" as really nobody knows when I was born, so therefore, shouldn't I be allowed to choose my special day?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">