• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birthmother fighting adoption 6 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ittybitty0415

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?I have 3 children who were removed from my home by CPS in the year of 2008 due to a live in boyfriend at the time taking his belt and striking my son (4yrs old at the time) with it continuously up and down the side of his body hard enough to where it left bruised welted marks covering the side of my son's body from ankle to shoulder. I myself was suffering from physical an emotional abuse by the same individual. 6 months after my children were removed the truth about the abuse to my children & to myself was supposedly documented and I was asked if I would testify in court against the man who struck my son with the belt in which I agreed to testify against. I battled the following year alone trying to break free of the abusive relationship I was trapped in while also trying to mend my relationship with my mother so that my children could be reunited with me. I didn't have or know of any resources I could get help from because I've never before experienced anything with abuse or CPS. I didn't know during that time that CPS had the means to help me or that they should've helped me. All I had in my mind was what CPS pumped into it throughout a year and a half period which was how their goal is reuniting families and the set goal for my case was me being reunited with my children. I had to complete classes which had nothing to do with my open case but #1 most important thing that I had to prove to CPS was that I was able to get out of the abusive relationship i was in with my ex and that I could stay out of it. There was a pattern for a short period of time during my open case of me leaving the relationship, going home which at the time my only option was my mom and step-dad's house, and 2 weeks into me being free and home my mom would kick me out which lead me back to the abuse. Like I said I didn't know any other options and CPS never offered help to me even after knowing the situation I was in and dealing with. That struggle went on for about a year before my mom and I were able to fix the issues we had and have a healthy mother daughter relationship. At that point I was now free of the abuse and permanently residing at my mom's residence. CPS was fully aware of everything and I was told how proud everyone was and how far I had come and that as long as I proved to them that I was going to be able to reside at my mom's without going back to the abuse I would have my kids back. This is now 1 year and a half into the open case I was assigned a new case worker only she was part of the adoption unit in CPS but I was told not to worry cause I was doing everything I needed to, and how it is just their procedure to do it that way because CPS can't have a case open no more then 2 years. Once 2 year marks reaches your case your either reunited with your kids or CPS has to place them up for adoption. The last 6 months I did what I thought was needed to reunite with my children because CPS had me believing we were going to be reunited and my mom's residence would be ok to bring them home to. I never went back to the abuse and my mother and I were back to a healthy fresh start. Then right at the 2 year mark CPS informed me my kids would have to be placed up for adoption and my mom's home no longer was suitable for me and my 3 children to reside. I was told I have to surrender my rights or they would terminate them and if I let them get terminated that could result in me having problems being around any children in the future. I did what they said was best and had to do I surrendered my rights. During the 2 year open case my family and I had what we thought was a strong healthy bond with the foster parents. Now being that the foster parents looked me and my mother in the eyes and said that they would NEVER keep the children from their biological family I did what I had to so I wouldn't lose all contact with my only 3 children. I adopted them out to the foster parents they had been with during the 2 year open case. This was so my kids would stay in my life and so they didn't end up seperated from each other and end up with strangers all over again. CPS did a final visit with me and the kids in August 2010 only during that visit I never knew that was gonna be the last time I would ever see or hear my children. Once the adoption was final the adoptive parents cut all ties between the children and their biological family. It's been 5 years 5 months now to this date with no answer as to why she ripped them away from me. Reaching out to her never got any response back. I've lost my life which are my 3 kids and didn't see it even coming! Never had closure or have I been able to be the same person I once was. Recently my oldest child reached out to me through a friend at school saying how the dad hits my middle child which is my son (now 11 yrs old) and asked if I could re-adopt them back. Please tell me I don't have to go years again without my kids . the kids and myself have suffered enough pain from being mislead by CPS and the foster parents and from being seperated without knowing that it was gonna happen that way . please tell me I have a case .

Proserpina

I'm sorry, but I think it's safe to say that you don't have a chance of reopening or challenging the adoption 6 years later.

By all means speak to a local attorney, but I don't think you'll get anywhere.

commentator

I'm going to be very blunt here. Please leave these children alone. Let them be established somewhere. Perhaps you could arrange through the parents to see them and have regular contact with them. They obviously know where you are and who you are, and when they are of age, they can contact you and have a relationship with you regardless.

But custody of three children, for a person who has had all these issues and it sounds like doesn't have a place to live or a very good job is a big job. And you think you are fully up to it, but you may not be. And they still love you, they would like to come back and have everything be fixed and be with you, whom they idealize, many years out, but what if it doesn't work like you imagine it all will, all roses and sunshine?

What if the reason that eleven year old got spanked was that he was seriously misbehaving? He knows the drill. If he is really being abused, he could tell someone at school and they'd call CPS for him. Instead, he reached out to you, which he wasn't supposed to do in one of those "Come rescue me from having somebody punish me!" deals. That does not a case for custody make.

How would you deal with an eleven year old boy who was seriously misbehaving? You don't have another parent to back you up. It would take a lot of work and counseling and legal drama for you to obtain custody back if it were possible, and then you'd end up with your children just as they are entering their teen years, which is automatically going to double down on the problems of raising them.

In most cases, state workers are told that the most desirable outcome is that the mother regain the children. But since this didn't happen, there were obviously factors that caused them to go forward with the adoption process and to cut off contact with you.

And it sounds like you've let this keep you from going forward, and you're five years away from even having seen the kids and you have some really unrealistic ideas about them and what they are like and what it would be like to care for and control and monitor and provide for these three children now that they are five years older than they were the last time you saw them.

Work on yourself, do the research, get some counseling to help you deal with your anxiety and your feelings from things that have happened to you and the abusive relationship you have been in.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">