• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elisaangel50

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? massachusetts

i have a 5 year old daughter. she hasn't seen her biological father in two years and even that time was like the fifth time he had seen her since she was a baby. i have a boyfriend who has known her almost her whole life. she knows only him as daddy and he wants to adopt her. is this possible if we don't get married?

Zephyr

extremely unlikely

is bio dad paying support?
he would either have to volutarily terminate his rights or you would have to ask a judge to do so against dad's wishes- very unlikely.

you and boyfriend would also have to be married.

bononos

How lovely, you daughter calls your boyfriend (not even married, not even engaged) daddy.
Does her biological daddy pay support?

bononos

I forgot to ask...
Why is it this boyfriend is good enough to play daddy to a child, but not good enough to marry?

OR

Why is this boyfriend wanting to adopt your child, but not marry you?

Things that make you go HMMMMM.....

elisaangel50

for info. i was married once before, no not to her father. i nor he is in any hurry to get married. father is a dead beat with three other kids not working owes over ten thou for those and the court said he didn't have to pay me cause he was on welfare. how's that. i had a simple question with a simple answer. i have known my boyfriend for eight years now. we know what we want.

BelizeBreeze

elisaangel50 said:
for info. i was married once before, no not to her father. i nor he is in any hurry to get married. father is a dead beat with three other kids not working owes over ten thou for those and the court said he didn't have to pay me cause he was on welfare. how's that. i had a simple question with a simple answer. i have known my boyfriend for eight years now. we know what we want.
Then why bother coming back here? You received the answer to your question.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
elisaangel50 said:
i had a simple question with a simple answer. i have known my boyfriend for eight years now. we know what we want.
And the simple answer is that no, your boyfriend cannot adopt your child.

T

titansfan

your bf has NO legal rights to your child

"the simple answer is no, your bf cannot adopt your child" your bf is a legal stranger with no rights to the child whatsoever. the only way he can have rights is for you two to marry, be married for at least a year, then he can apply to adopt the child. untill then, if something were to happen to you, hes out of luck, he'd have no legal standing to seek custody OR visitation, the child's bio father would be first in line for custody, and theres nothing your bf could do about it.

Shay-Pari'e

titansfan said:
"the simple answer is no, your bf cannot adopt your child" your bf is a legal stranger with no rights to the child whatsoever. the only way he can have rights is for you two to marry, be married for at least a year, then he can apply to adopt the child. untill then, if something were to happen to you, hes out of luck, he'd have no legal standing to seek custody OR visitation, the child's bio father would be first in line for custody, and theres nothing your bf could do about it.
I was just wondering if you thought you were actually offering any thing NEW to the thread, ..Did you?

NOPE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">