• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an 18 year old be adopted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smuckers

What is the name of your state? AZ/IN

This may sound stupid but I need to know if an 18 year old who is still in high school can be adopted. My husband and I know a kid who has no father (total deadbeat) and no "real" mother (abusive, doesn't care). He lives with his mother's ex husband (not his father) who treats him "not so nice." This kid wants us to be his parents/guardians and he wants to move to AZ with us when we go. From the way it looks, we are the only adults in his life who care. Adopting wouldn't be necessary for him to move with us (since he is an adult) but we can't have our insurance on him if he's not "ours." Also, I wouldn't want him considered a "roommate" when we move and have to be credit checked and put on the lease. Thanks...

C

craftymom

Even though he is an adult, you would still need the parents signatures for the adoption to go through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">