• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an adoption be overturned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

themech

can an adoption be overturned?

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I adopted my husband's children about 2 years ago. My lawyer tried in vain to contact the bio mother. We had no idea where she was. We have since moved to Washington State. She still lives in Michigan, has a new boyfriend with lots of money and now is saying that she will contest the adoption. The children are 10 and 7 years old now and very well adjusted. They have faint memories of their bio mother and as far as they are concerned I am their mother. How difficult would it be for her to overturn this adoption?

Seanscott

You could not have legally adopted the children unless biomom's parental rights were terminated through the courts.

If you did everything legally, and a judge approved the adoptions, then they are your children - "permanently & irrevocably". She would now have as much right to the children as I do.

If by some very slim chance, she was able to get her case before a judge, she would still have to explain why she abandoned the children without contact or support, and why she deserves a chance now.

Remember this - The court will do whatever is in the best interest of the children. A judge will not tear apart a happy home simply because a deadbeat bioparent is demanding her "rights".

She doesn't have a prayer of getting these kids back IF you did everything legally.

Tell her to sue away and kiss your @ss. Then don't communicate with her anymore and sleep well!

I'm not a lawyer, just someone who's learned the stepparent adoption laws the hard way.

Wishing you all the best!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">