• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the biological father & the husband be listed on a child's birth certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graciesaunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I am a happily married woman. My husband of the last 6 years had a vasectomy 16 1/2 years ago, after the birth of his twin son/daughter from a prior marriage. We have seriously looked into vasectomy reversal, only to learn that there was a very small chance that we could conceive. Recently, we asked a friend of ours (I've known him for 15 years) to consider being the father of the baby, my husband and I want.

Here in can be the problem: "John" wants to be named as the father on the birth certificate and be active in all parts of the baby's life. My husband and I have no problem with "John" being active in the baby's life, nor on the birth certificate, however---can this baby have two fathers listed on the certificate. "John" does not want to give up his paternal rights to the child. (to which my husband and I understand) I honestly want both my husband and my friend on the child's birth certificate. Also, for our insurance to pay, my husband's name should be on the certificate. "John" is willing to pay support or do whatever it takes to have his name put on the papers.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering and making suggestions into where we need to look for further answers

LdiJ

I am a happily married woman. My husband of the last 6 years had a vasectomy 16 1/2 years ago, after the birth of his twin son/daughter from a prior marriage. We have seriously looked into vasectomy reversal, only to learn that there was a very small chance that we could conceive. Recently, we asked a friend of ours (I've known him for 15 years) to consider being the father of the baby, my husband and I want.

Here in can be the problem: "John" wants to be named as the father on the birth certificate and be active in all parts of the baby's life. My husband and I have no problem with "John" being active in the baby's life, nor on the birth certificate, however---can this baby have two fathers listed on the certificate. "John" does not want to give up his paternal rights to the child. (to which my husband and I understand) I honestly want both my husband and my friend on the child's birth certificate. Also, for our insurance to pay, my husband's name should be on the certificate. "John" is willing to pay support or do whatever it takes to have his name put on the papers.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering and making suggestions into where we need to look for further answers
No, a birth certificate cannot have two father's listed.

This really is not a very good idea. You would be far better off going to a sperm bank and getting an anonymous donation.

Just Blue

Why would you subject a child to this insane situation?? Go to a sperm bank.

AHA

Sounds like this could end up in court with you having to fight for custody with the father. Find another donor!!

graciesaunt

replying to my question

Okay...I see everyone's point and I honestly appreciate it!!! Now I'm wondering if gay and lesbian couples can be listed as parents, how come the same can't apply. Is there a way that "John" can be listed as the father on the birth certificate and my husband adopt the child. Would this change the birth certificate???

CourtClerk

When an adoption is finalized, a new birth certificate is generated. In a nutshell, the child can only have ONE mother and ONE father.

graciesaunt

replying to my question

Does the biological father have to completely give up his rights. I've heard of some time of adoption where the adoptive parent goes on the birth certificate, however the biological parent is still able to keep their rights.
I know this sounds crazy, but all parties involved from parents, grandparents to siblings are wanting to be involved in this, as we've seen too many children without someone to love them.
Or would I be better off not naming a father on the birth certificate, leaving my hubby and the biological father nameless on it?

CourtClerk

When an adoption is finalized, the rights of the "father" are terminated. As such, the child has ONE mother and ONE father.

A child cannot have more than ONE mother and ONE father. No matter how you cut it. If you are married at the time of conception/birth, then your husband is this child's legal father. As such, his name MUST go on the birth certificate. This child will not be born of immaculate conception. Please rethink this whole you want a child thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">