• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can biological father stop adoption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rhiannon20

Hello to everyone who reads this. I am 20 and live in VA currentally. MY ex lives in NY. I have one child with him and I am five months pregnant with his second child. He took me to court for custody of our daughter and lost. He now refuses to have anything to do with her or pay child support. He denies being the father of the second child however when I informed him I am considering giving the second child up for adoption he said he would deny consenting to it. He told me that even though he wants nothing to do with the child but he would stop the adoption from happening just to piss me off. He uses drugs and I am embarassed to even have one child by him let alone two. What are his rights? can he stop the adoption from happening? I would sooner keep the child than allow him to have custody of the child.
thank you for any help

D

dorenephilpot

If the two of you weren't married, it's tougher for him to get custody of the child or thwart an adoption.

I don't know the laws in your state, but in Indiana, the father of a child who was not married to the mother must register with the state's Putative Father Registry by certain deadlines or else the child can be adopted out from under him. He would also need to establish paternity.

If he's like a lot of folks, he doesn't know the hoops and even if he did, he probably wouldn't take the steps to complete them because they take money and effort.

If he isn't working on a relationship with child #1, he's not likely to sincerely want one with child #2. He's probably just trying to make you worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">