• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Felon's adopt??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorriedMom08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I went ahead and let my sister - in law and brother - in law adopt my son. Which was born last april on the 25th. Now not long after I find out that the adoptive father (brother -in law) was previously in some trouble for a gun related crime and did prison time. What can I do to see if my son can be taken away and placed with another family. If I can that is..? I will appriciate any advice I am desperate!!

:confused::mad::(

Just Blue

I went ahead and let my sister - in law and brother - in law adopt my son. Which was born last april on the 25th. Now not long after I find out that the adoptive father (brother -in law) was previously in some trouble for a gun related crime and did prison time. What can I do to see if my son can be taken away and placed with another family. If I can that is..? I will appriciate any advice I am desperate!!

Was the adoption done according to the laws of your state? Was a background check done? What was the gun related crime and how long ago was it? Does this crime place your the child in danger? Did the biological father of this child consent to the adoption?

Answer ALL questions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You signed to relinguish your rights at some point, correct? The child is not six months old however and has not lived in the home for six months hence the adoption is not finalized. Was the father notified of the adoption? I will say, however, that you can file to revoke your consent. But according to Texas law:
The court may waive the requirement of consent by the managing conservator if the court finds that the consent is being refused or has been revoked without good cause. A hearing on the issue of consent shall be conducted by the court without a jury.
What is the real reason you don't want them to adopt? Apparently you thought they were good people to start with.

Just Blue

You signed to relinguish your rights at some point, correct? The child is not six months old however and has not lived in the home for six months hence the adoption is not finalized. Was the father notified of the adoption? I will say, however, that you can file to revoke your consent. But according to Texas law:

What is the real reason you don't want them to adopt? Apparently you thought they were good people to start with.
I bet the adoptive parent promised her that she could continue to be "mommy" and now are reneging on that "agreement".

OG...In Texas do they perform background checks on kinship adoptions?? Is ot the same process as a stranger adoption?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I bet the adoptive parent promised her that she could continue to be "mommy" and now are reneging on that "agreement".

OG...In Texas do they perform background checks on kinship adoptions?? Is ot the same process as a stranger adoption?
Yes they do perform background checks...

Gracie3787

I went ahead and let my sister - in law and brother - in law adopt my son. Which was born last april on the 25th. Now not long after I find out that the adoptive father (brother -in law) was previously in some trouble for a gun related crime and did prison time. What can I do to see if my sonmy son can be taken away and placed with another family. If I can that is..? I will appriciate any advice I am desperate!!

I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to understand that when you signed the papers relinquishing your parental rights, and the adoption was finalized, you legally ceased to be that child's mother. He is no longer YOUR son.

You should get a consult with a local attorney to see if there is anything that you can do at this point.

WorriedMom08

I asked for advice

I thought this was a advice forum not a place to criticized. No there was not plans for me to remain "mommy" afterwards. Statement is as follows. I JUST found out that the adoptive father was a felon. He fired a rifel at this girlfriend in April of 2001 and shot her dog.

This happened while she was in her car. What happens if he gets angry again and "child" is in car. I have dealt with adoption before. I am married to the bio dad and he feels the same as we do. I don't feel he is safe. That is all I am asking advice on if he was allowed to adopt with a felony on his record (happened in New York) background check done before adoption only shows DWI not his other charges. I did trust them before they lied to us. I have spoken to many people and they believe he can only get in trouble for still having guns in the house. I am worried about the child not myself. I want him safe

Gracie3787

I thought this was a advice forum not a place to criticized. No there was not plans for me to remain "mommy" afterwards. Statement is as follows. I JUST found out that the adoptive father was a felon. He fired a rifel at this girlfriend in April of 2001 and shot her dog.

This happened while she was in her car. What happens if he gets angry again and "child" is in car. I have dealt with adoption before. I am married to the bio dad and he feels the same as we do. I don't feel he is safe. That is all I am asking advice on if he was allowed to adopt with a felony on his record (happened in New York) background check done before adoption only shows DWI not his other charges. I did trust them before they lied to us. I have spoken to many people and they believe he can only get in trouble for still having guns in the house. I am worried about the child not myself. I want him safe
If the background check showed a DWI, but not the "felony", it most likely means that he was NOT convicted of the crime. Do you have any proof that he was actually convicted of a felony crime?

WorriedMom08

Yes I have proof. He did 3 years in state prison for it. And when they told me after all was said and done. They said they are relieved they didn't find out. It was a private adoption, They used a friends lawyer and paid close to nothing for the lawyer. I am just worried if he gets angry he will hurt someone and might be the child. He isn't allowed guns but owns rifles and BB guns

fairisfair

hey****************************wait a minute**************....

you said you let your sister in law and brother in law adopt your child.....

so you are MARRIED?????

where
is the father of this child????

Shay-Pari'e

so you are MARRIED?????

where

Exactly where she messed up. Apparently she is married to bio dad, so it would be his brother or sister.

YAG is handing out new BS meters today.
K-DAR!

LdiJ

so you are MARRIED?????

where

Exactly where she messed up. Apparently she is married to bio dad, so it would be his brother or sister.

YAG is handing out new BS meters today.
K-DAR!
Or widowed, or divorced from dad but still calls them sister and brother in law. Or is about to be divorced from husband because the child isn't the husband's biological child.

In any case, I also vote for K-DAR.

WorriedMom08

I am married to the biological father, We live together. The people who adopted my son are my husbands brother and sister in law. We are all involved and we live all but 10 miles from each other. They found out I was pregnant and we agreed to do a private adoption. They got a lawyer through a friend at their job. I had child in April. He will be 4 months old on the 25th. Now that it's almost finalized they tell me, They were relieved that adoptive fathers "gun related crime" was undiscovered. When I looked into it I found out that he was in prison for 3 yrs for trying to shoot his girlfriend (now wife) with a rifle he was drunk missed and shot and killed her dog. He was arrested and charged for both crimes. For some reason beyond me the background check did not show his "gun" related crime. Happened in 2001. I am adding the news article from the newspaper when it happened X refers to him. If I am missing anything else? Tell me Please

BELOW - NEWS ARTICLE FROM THE INCIDENT (names removed)

MAN SENTENCED FOR SHOOTING AT GIRLFRIEND

MICHELE MORGAN BOLTON Staff writer

TROY -- A 36-year-old Johnsonville man who shot and killed his girlfriend's dog after firing a rifle at her as she sat in her car was sentenced Thursday to up to three years in state prison.

X, of 9 Lakeside Way, pleaded guilty to felony first-degree reckless endangerment and driving while intoxicated and animal cruelty, both misdemeanors.

The charges were related to a Jan. 21 incident outside his home in which, after an argument with the woman, he fired a .308 caliber rifle at her vehicle as she attempted to drive away.

X then killed her dog, a 2-year-old Rottweiler, and fled the scene.

The woman alerted State Police troopers, who were waiting when X returned.

He was subsequently arrested for driving while intoxicated after an alcohol test returned positive results.

``Mr. X's dangerous behavior could have injured or killed himself or someone else and that type of reckless action can't go unpunished,'' said Rensselaer County District Attorney Kenneth Bruno said. ``Everyone is lucky the victim wasn't physically injured but the same can't be said for an innocent dog that was the target of his rage.'' -- Michele Morgan Bolton

WorriedMom08

I suppose he didn't feel the need to look into it until they told us about it. My husband did not know about the felony just the misdemeanor. Plus they really aren't very close and really just started talking when we had plans to go ahead with the adoption about last November. Which I thought I knew enough to trust them and I did not. We did it because his wife cannot have children of her own and she really wanted to be a mother. I know she will take care of him but I am worried about him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">