• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Grandmother Adopt Child Without Parental Consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChloeDancer

My 3-year-old daughter is currently with her paternal grandmother. She filed for custody while I was in the hospital in Feb. and I did not know about the court date until the day after. They awarded her custody because I was not there. She has told me that she wants me to have my daughter back, says she isn't in any shape to raise her. She said she just wants to provide stability until I can get back on my feet. I went through a lot of emotional problems and depression after being badly abused by her son. I was also left in a very poor financial state because of him. Well, lately she had been avoiding my phone calls most of the time and is not being cooperative in letting me see my child. We met at the park last week for a visit with my daughter and out of the blue, she asked if I wanted to let her adopt Chloe. I was shocked and didn't really know how to respond. I told her I still wanted my daughter back, as we had always talked about before. She told me to think about it and I haven't heard back from her. I have called and sent e-mails. Is there any way she can proceed with trying to adopt my child when I have every intention of getting her back? This really has me concerned and I don't know what to think. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

ChloeDancer said:
My 3-year-old daughter is currently with her paternal grandmother. She filed for custody while I was in the hospital in Feb. and I did not know about the court date until the day after. They awarded her custody because I was not there. She has told me that she wants me to have my daughter back, says she isn't in any shape to raise her. She said she just wants to provide stability until I can get back on my feet. I went through a lot of emotional problems and depression after being badly abused by her son. I was also left in a very poor financial state because of him. Well, lately she had been avoiding my phone calls most of the time and is not being cooperative in letting me see my child. We met at the park last week for a visit with my daughter and out of the blue, she asked if I wanted to let her adopt Chloe. I was shocked and didn't really know how to respond. I told her I still wanted my daughter back, as we had always talked about before. She told me to think about it and I haven't heard back from her. I have called and sent e-mails. Is there any way she can proceed with trying to adopt my child when I have every intention of getting her back? This really has me concerned and I don't know what to think. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Easy answer is no. However, we do not know what has transpired nor can we read the transcripts of any preceeding trial. Therefore, I would strongly suggest you go to the court and get a copy of the record giving granny custody and then consult with a local attorney.

rmet4nzkx

Here is your other thread, there was no reason to start another
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=288348
Have you contacted legal aid or NAMI for assistance in legal matters and referals to other supportive services?
NAMI Tennessee
HELP LINE
1 (800) 467-3589
Call us for help, information and referrals Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. CST.

Tennessee Department of Mental Health
CRISIS INTERVENTION AND INFORMATION LINE
1 (800) 809-9957
This line operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is open to anyone who needs mental health crisis services. Your call is routed to the closest crisis team. Someone is always available to answer and locate crisis services.

Social Services
211 SOCIAL SERVICES HELP LINE (in English and Spanish)
211 or www.211tn.org
Information about and referrals to social services of all types, from housing, to counseling, shelter, healthcare, employment, pregnancy, addictions, food and volunteer opportunities.

National Hopeline Network
SUICIDE HOTLINE
If you (or someone you know) is in immediate danger of committing suicide, call 911 now. There is help for you. Stay on the phone with the operator and wait for help to arrive. Do not hesitate to call. Your life is extremely valuable, and people care about you. Please reach out now for help.

If you are not in immediate danger of committing suicide, but need someone to talk with about your suicidal thoughts,
call the National Hopeline Network
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
You may call this number from anywhere in the United States, 24 hours a day.

TennCare Partners Advocacy and Information Line
1-800 758-1638
242-7339 (in Nashville)
Customer service for the TennCare Bureau. At this number, you can get general TennCare information and ask questions about premiums and eligibility.

DBSA Information
DEPRESSION AND BIPOLAR SUPPORT ALLIANCE
1 (800) 826-3632 or visit www.DBSAlliance.org
Find out about local support groups at this number.

Youth Villages
CRISIS INTERVENTION FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
*Memphis area (866) 791-9226 *Rural west TN (866) 791-9227 *Nashville area (866) 791-9221 *Rural middle TN (866) 791-9222 *Upper Cumberland (866) 791-9223 *Southeast TN (866) 791-9225 *Northeast TN (866) 791-9224
Crisis counselors located throughout the state are available 24 hours a day to respond when children or young people up to age 18 experience psychiatric emergencies. Call if a young person experiences severe depression, suicidal or homicidal thoughts or behaviors, exhibits bizarre behavior, disorientation or hallucinations, or acts in a destructive, out of control manner. Always call when psychiatric hospitalization is being considered.

Borderline Personality Disorder Resource Unit

888-694-2273 or

www.bpdresourcecenter.org
An organization that provides free information, education and referrals to borderline personality disorder patients, familiy members and professionals.

"Exile on Main Street"

Online Forum About Homelessness and Mental Illness http://www.nathaniellachenmeyer.com/forum/index.php

A place to talk with others who are concerned about homeless people who have mental illnessess. You can post questions here and find resources.

Last edited:

ChloeDancer

Can the state help me with legal aid for this problem? I truly have no money to work with and am scared to death that the fact the grandmother has money is going to keep me from getting my child back. Do you know if I will have to take some kind of classes or have a job to even attempt to go to court? I am currently living with my boyfriend and I could take care of my daughter right now if I had her, but her grandmother acts like I have to have my own place to live before I could get custody. She really messes with my head and knows I am terrified about losing my child, plus I am scared of her too. She is manipulative and I don't know what she will or can do about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">