• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my step son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnsogle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband and I went to court last February to protect my stepson from having to go to his Bio mom's home while my husband went to Iraq. My stepson claims that she abuses him constantly when he visits her. My husband had custodial custody of his son so he only went to visit his bio mom. Well the judge that heard our case awarded custody to my husband and myself. Does this mean I can try to adopt my stepson?

>Charlotte<

Lurker

My husband and I went to court last February to protect my stepson from having to go to his Bio mom's home while my husband went to Iraq. My stepson claims that she abuses him constantly when he visits her. My husband had custodial custody of his son so he only went to visit his bio mom. Well the judge that heard our case awarded custody to my husband and myself. Does this mean I can try to adopt my stepson?
NO it doesn't mean you can try to adopt your stepson! Well, you can certainly try but you won't get far. The boy has a mother. You are NOT his mother. You are way out of line, and you need to take one giant leap back.

And, by the way, she's not his "bio" Mom. Her status of "mother" does not need a qualifying adjective. She is his mother. Period.

Last edited:

Isis1

does the court order REALLY say YOU were awarded custody?

something's funny here. son doesn't have to visit abusive mother unless he wants to. so, instead of requesting supervised visits with this horrendeous woman, son can go into this dangerous enviorment when he wants?

Gracie3787

We don't know enough about the situation to be able to give you an accurate answer.

The best thing to do will be for you to gather up all of the existing court orders, along with any proof you have that Mom should have her rights terminated, and take them to an attorney for a consult. You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Refferal Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">