• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my wife's children if I have a felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommyrst

Minnesota - I have a felony on my record for an assault charge 10 years ago. My wife has 2 kids and the father pays child support but has not been in there life and does not want to be. He is willing to sign his rights away. Will my past felony prevent this from happening?

Proserpina

Minnesota - I have a felony on my record for an assault charge 10 years ago. My wife has 2 kids and the father pays child support but has not been in there life and does not want to be. He is willing to sign his rights away. Will my past felony prevent this from happening?

What was the sentence?

You need to speak with a local adoption attorney; depending on the nature of the felony, your status now, it might hinder you greatly.

Then again, it might not.

tommyrst

There was no jail time with the sentence, just some fines, restitution, community service and anger classes. Everything was completed 100% and I am in good standing.

No, the father does not know about the charge. Even if he did he probably wouldn't care. He just doesn't want to have to pay cs.

Proserpina

There was no jail time with the sentence, just some fines, restitution, community service and anger classes. Everything was completed 100% and I am in good standing.

No, the father does not know about the charge. Even if he did he probably wouldn't care. He just doesn't want to have to pay cs.

Again, speak with an attorney.

A violent felony is generally considered to be worse than a non-violent felony.

Just Blue

What is the EXACT allegation you were convicted for?

Well, from the information provided I would think that you chances are not good.

In Minnesota, as defined by section 245A.02, In the case of a stepparent adoption, a background study must be completed on the stepparent and any children as required under subdivision 3, paragraph (b). In other states, stepparent adoptions are exempt from background checks. In essence, the state puts faith in the custodial parent that they are making the right choice for their kid.

So the court IS going to look into your criminal past. It will be a matter of whether or not the Court feels your crime should stop you from adopting or not.

If father objects to your adopting, the road will get more difficult obviously.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">