• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i be adopted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noelle93

I live in ohio.
I'm 22 years old. I want to know if it's possible for my step dad to adopt me. I know by ohio law I have to be disabled or have created my relationship with a foster or step parent while I was a minor. My step-dad has been in my life since I was 15.
I have next to no relationship with my actual father anymore. My step-dad was more of a dad to me in the few years he's been in my life than my actual father ever was.
My mom married him in 2014 when I was 20.
Since they weren't married when I was a minor do I still fall under the category of people who created the relationship at that time?

If it's at all possible, what's my best course of action?

Noelle93

Thanks guys.
One main reason I want to get the ball rolling is that this October my fiance and I are getting married and my step dad is walking me down the aisle and giving me away. I thought it might be special for him if he was ablessed to adopt me officially beforehand.
I'd like to give him the petition maybe for Father's day but I want to know if legally it would go through. The way the law is written seems a little confusing. Like they would've had to have been married before I was 18. They weren't but I was living with him.

Proserpina

Thanks guys.
One main reason I want to get the ball rolling is that this October my fiance and I are getting married and my step dad is walking me down the aisle and giving me away. I thought it might be special for him if he was ablessed to adopt me officially beforehand.
I'd like to give him the petition maybe for Father's day but I want to know if legally it would go through. The way the law is written seems a little confusing. Like they would've had to have been married before I was 18. They weren't but I was living with him.
At first glance it appears that the link given is talking about house bills which have not yet become law.

This is the relevant part of the ORC:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3107

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">