• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I reinstate my parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopefulbiomom

What is the name of your state? Ma
I am in MA now but my daughter was adopted in CA. I gave her to her adopted parents in an open adoption. I was young and nieve and believed I was doing what was best for her. I have regretted the decision for 16 yrs. Her adopted parents have divorced and she lives with her adopted mom in AR now. She came to visit me right after Christmas and told me some things about her growing up that have made me very angry and sort of sick. I would like to know if there is any way to reinstate my parental rights and take back my precious gift from these people who have either told her that they want nothing to do with her (her adopted father), or think of her as a source of money (her adopted mom). My daughter has some very frightening health conditions that her mother doesn't even take her to the doctor for, my daughter's boyfriend and his mother take her to the doctors. Her adopted mom and her friend seem to think that my daughter is a hypocondriak and making up her illnesses, but I am the one who sat in the ER with this child while she was visiting me for almost 10 hours. Please help I don't know what to do.What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

I am in MA now but my daughter was adopted in CA. I gave her to her adopted parents in an open adoption. I was young and nieve and believed I was doing what was best for her. I have regretted the decision for 16 yrs. Her adopted parents have divorced and she lives with her adopted mom in AR now. She came to visit me right after Christmas and told me some things about her growing up that have made me very angry and sort of sick. I would like to know if there is any way to reinstate my parental rights and take back my precious gift from these people who have either told her that they want nothing to do with her (her adopted father), or think of her as a source of money (her adopted mom). My daughter has some very frightening health conditions that her mother doesn't even take her to the doctor for, my daughter's boyfriend and his mother take her to the doctors. Her adopted mom and her friend seem to think that my daughter is a hypocondriak and making up her illnesses, but I am the one who sat in the ER with this child while she was visiting me for almost 10 hours. Please help I don't know what to do.What is the name of your state?
Simple answer is no. You have no more rights to petition against the legal parent(s) than I do.

momofrose

SOunds to me like your birthdaughter might be "playing you" a bit. If you had an open aoption all these years how is you did not know how these horrible things prior to now? You could have called CPS..what health conditions does she have - is it possible that her mom is correct and she is a hypocondriak? Sitting in an ER for 10 hours (without admittance) does not prive a thing.

You should be grateful that the parents have chosen to keep you in their child's life.
Many parents from adoption choose to negate that part of the agreement.

In any case - no you can not reinstate yout "rights" - adoption makes them the parents.

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">