• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I remove my adoptive father's name from my Birth Certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kanko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am 25 years old. My Mom got re married 7 years ago and had him adopt me and my siblings and changed our birth certificates...however they are divorce, I don't ever see him, have never liked him and wish his name was not on my birth certificate. Is there any easy way to get him off and just have the father spot blank? Thanks for your help..from the girl who wishes mens names disappeared off documenst when they disappeared, if only!

kanko

okay...don't answer my stupid question! I read up on it and I am stuck with the dude as a dad! Glad I'm a little bit smarter about who I pick to have children with/let adopt then my mother!

nextwife

Children can't UNDO who their legal parents were, regardless of whether they like them, or whether they remained a couple together. If someone is willing to adopt you as an adult, you can have your birth certificate changed to reflect that adoptive parent on a new birth certificate.

But you can't change either your legal father nor legal mother on the birth certificate, you can only replace them with a different legal parent if a subsequent adoption occurs.

cyjeff

okay...don't answer my stupid question! I read up on it and I am stuck with the dude as a dad! Glad I'm a little bit smarter about who I pick to have children with/let adopt then my mother!
Believe it or not, we all are volunteers with lives, children and jobs.

You post at two o'clock in the morning and get pissy when no one responds in a half hour.

The answer to your question is simple. You can do nothing.

enjay

I think it was more of a nevermind than a lament that he wasn't answered quickly enough. He researched and found the answer to his question.

ecmst12

I wonder how much effort SHE has made to keep her father in her life. I don't like my dad much either, but he's the only one I've got, so I make an effort to spend time with him. But when I was her age, I thought I didn't need a dad either :)

Hisbabygirl77

I find it hard to believe that she never liked or wanted him to adopt her. In the state of Arizona anyone 12 and over must stand up in court and declare to the judge that they want and agree to the adoption. She is saying she was 17 at the time so if she stated that she didnt want or agree with the adoption the judge more likely than not would NOT have approved it.

AHA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am 25 years old. My Mom got re married 7 years ago and had him adopt me and my siblings and changed our birth certificates...however they are divorce, I don't ever see him, have never liked him and wish his name was not on my birth certificate. Is there any easy way to get him off and just have the father spot blank? Thanks for your help..from the girl who wishes mens names disappeared off documenst when they disappeared, if only!
I'm sure the feeling is mutual in many situations, so don't lose any sleep over hit. Get on with your life and stop obsessing about what you can't change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">