• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I try to adopt my own children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loriv92

I currently live in Utah, but I was living in Massachusetts with my children. I had some personal issues, not drugs or anything like that. Basically I had a breakdown after being a single mother of 3 children for 6 years , finding out my mother had leukemia , having brain surgery and being harassed daily by the children's father. I gave dss temporary custody and I moved to south carolina. I came back and started having interaction with the children, but I was living in a hotel, I couldn't make ends meet, and I was told in order to get them back I would have to have a 3 bedroom apartment. I couldn't afford it, I couldn't get assistance to help me get one because I didn't have the kids and I ended up coming to Utah. I was told by DSS that even if my rights were removed I would still be able to call and see how the kids were doing. This ended up being a lie. My sister and her husband were trying to get the kids, but they were having trouble with DSS, who are now avoiding her phone calls and will not talk to her. They are free for adoption now and I feel that I am in a much better place in my life. I could get a place big enough for them out here and I was wondering if there would be any way for me to adopt my children or fight for reinstatement of my parental rights.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Were your rights actually terminated? If they were, then these are no longer your children. If you have any chance at all of having any rights reinstated, you absolutely need an attorney. You cannot do this by yourself.

Where is the father? Were his rights also terminated?

LdiJ

I currently live in Utah, but I was living in Massachusetts with my children. I had some personal issues, not drugs or anything like that. Basically I had a breakdown after being a single mother of 3 children for 6 years , finding out my mother had leukemia , having brain surgery and being harassed daily by the children's father. I gave dss temporary custody and I moved to south carolina. I came back and started having interaction with the children, but I was living in a hotel, I couldn't make ends meet, and I was told in order to get them back I would have to have a 3 bedroom apartment. I couldn't afford it, I couldn't get assistance to help me get one because I didn't have the kids and I ended up coming to Utah. I was told by DSS that even if my rights were removed I would still be able to call and see how the kids were doing. This ended up being a lie. My sister and her husband were trying to get the kids, but they were having trouble with DSS, who are now avoiding her phone calls and will not talk to her. They are free for adoption now and I feel that I am in a much better place in my life. I could get a place big enough for them out here and I was wondering if there would be any way for me to adopt my children or fight for reinstatement of my parental rights.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, you would not be able to adopt your children, because someone whose parental rights had been terminated would not be eligible to adopt children.

However, there might be a chance for your parental rights to be reinstated...but it would take a good attorney to have any chance at that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">