• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Un-Adopt myself from my StepFather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpc

I live in New York, but my Step Father is in PA.
My real Mom and my Step-Father are finally getting a divorce - yippee!
Can I, as an 40 plus years Adult, legally "Un Adopt" myself from him?
Our relationship is non-existant and always has been and I just don't want any obligations to him once they are divorced. If my Mother can get free of him, I want to be too.

Neal1421

cpc said:
Our relationship is non-existant and always has been and I just don't want any obligations to him once they are divorced. If my Mother can get free of him, I want to be too.
You are free of him. You are an adult.

Gracie3787

cpc said:
The other responses are correct. But I'm wondering, does having his last name bother you? If it does, you can actually file to change your last name. Since you don't have any LEGAL ties to your adoptive father, changing your name won't change who your LEGAL father is, but it might make you feel better. Of course alot goes into changing your name so you might want to consult an attorney before doing so.

cpc

I understand that I am not obligated as an Adult but it is a personal thing that I do FEEL a sense of obligation and committment. The way I understand it, my Birth Certificate was changed from my birth Father to my adoptive Father. I want to change it back. I don't want anything from my Adoptive Father. I know when he dies, my step-sibilings will fight for everything, so I just don't want involved. Plus it's just a closure for me to be able to do this. It would sort of bring sweet revenge as well. It would definitely be a statement to not be legally bound to him any longer. That's what I am looking for. When he's old and sick, I don't want to be responsible for his bills either. So my question is, can it be done? I would assume the answer is most likely yes, I can do, but it is worth the cost and the heartbreak of my sister who would not do something like this to him. But she has a different relationship with him and she feels bad for him. I definitely do not feel bad for him. We were not treated well all of our lives and I just don't feel bad for him about anything.

mb94

Some states allow for an adult adoption. You would need to get your bio father to adopt you back.

cpc

I like that thought, thank you - he probably will like that too - I hadn't thought of that

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">