• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my best friend and her mom adopt me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daedae7125

Ok so Me and my mother have been having issues and we've been arguing and i didn't want to live here anymore. It's so much i want to say but I'm trying to summarize it all. She is over the top CONTROLLING. I can't be myself even in my own house and her beaing controlling is effecting my life. Me and my sister don't want to live here. Because of something happening to me we can't live with our grandmother right now and we lived with our aunt this last week and we've just got back home. Honestly the minute i seen the house my depression hit again. I've been battling depression for a while and I've tried overdosing once and im always thinking of suicide. It's way more the story but it's to much. She has called me out of my name twice and laid her hands on me twice and i obviously don't like it. She apologized for it but I'm too hurt to take it. My best friend said her and her mom would adopt me but the thing is they live in Philadelphia. I'm from Texas and I'm 15. I just don't want to live here anymore, I've been having problems for a while. I start therapy this week but i don't feel like i will be in such a great mood of it helping me. Just please I'm asking how can they adopt me? I would like to have visitation over the summers cause i don't wanna just cut off all my family. It's just i can't see myself and my mom's relationship ever getting better, i don't hate her and she's not a bad mom but if you were in my shoes you would understand. My father is locked up and so is my biological father. My little sister also verbally abuses me, but she does it as joking and she always disrespectful to me and I'm always getting in trouble for being rude to her and so distant. I love my sister, but she made me hurt, so i can barely say i love you sometimes. I just can't deal with this anymore, also I'm not very social. Please respond back.

Eekamouse

Ok so Me and my mother have been having issues and we've been arguing and i didn't want to live here anymore. It's so much i want to say but I'm trying to summarize it all. She is over the top CONTROLLING. I can't be myself even in my own house and her beaing controlling is effecting my life. Me and my sister don't want to live here. Because of something happening to me we can't live with our grandmother right now and we lived with our aunt this last week and we've just got back home. Honestly the minute i seen the house my depression hit again. I've been battling depression for a while and I've tried overdosing once and im always thinking of suicide. It's way more the story but it's to much. She has called me out of my name twice and laid her hands on me twice and i obviously don't like it. She apologized for it but I'm too hurt to take it. My best friend said her and her mom would adopt me but the thing is they live in Philadelphia. I'm from Texas and I'm 15. I just don't want to live here anymore, I've been having problems for a while. I start therapy this week but i don't feel like i will be in such a great mood of it helping me. Just please I'm asking how can they adopt me? I would like to have visitation over the summers cause i don't wanna just cut off all my family. It's just i can't see myself and my mom's relationship ever getting better, i don't hate her and she's not a bad mom but if you were in my shoes you would understand. My father is locked up and so is my biological father. My little sister also verbally abuses me, but she does it as joking and she always disrespectful to me and I'm always getting in trouble for being rude to her and so distant. I love my sister, but she made me hurt, so i can barely say i love you sometimes. I just can't deal with this anymore, also I'm not very social. Please respond back.
How old are you? Why does your best friend live so far away from you? Is this one of those "online best friends" kind of thing where you have never really met the person?

Proserpina

If you're being abused, please get help immediately by calling child services or speaking with a school counselor.

Otherwise, you live where your parents say you can live. Period. Even if.

Daedae7125

Honestly yes she is an online best friend but i am suppoose to be visitng her this summer and i know her mother and brother, and sister and i trust them.

Daedae7125

I didn't mention her "rules" are trying to change who i am and i can't be me.it's making my self esteem become even lower because my own mother wants me to live an image she thinks. I am gay and she alo makes me feel bad about being gay. It's just so many things.

Proserpina

I didn't mention her "rules" are trying to change who i am and i can't be me.it's making my self esteem become even lower because my own mother wants me to live an image she thinks. I am gay and she alo makes me feel bad about being gay. It's just so many things.
Hon, that doesn't change the legalities.

And please don't think about running away; if you turn up in PA your friend and his/her Mom could end up dealing with felony charges if they don't send you home immediately.

Eekamouse

Honestly yes she is an online best friend but i am suppoose to be visitng her this summer and i know her mother and brother, and sister and i trust them.
And how do you know her mother, brother, and sister? Via the internet? Paint it for what this is. You want to hook up with some chick in another state but your mother won't let you. Why? Because she cares for your safety and because you are a 15 year old child who has no life experience to be able to tell the difference between an online predator and a real kid. If I was your mother, I'd cut off your internet access and get you into counseling.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hon, you are not a candidate for adoption. It's not something that can happen randomly; even if your mother agreed to surrender her rights (and it for sure won't happen if she doesn't) it's unlikely that a judge would agree. She's allowed not to like that you're gay.

Daedae7125

It's not about her not liking me being gay i could care lesd. It's what i wrote in the big paragraph but thank you anyways. I just don't know what to do and i hate that i have to stay with her. I thought about rinning away but no one understands and they think im just going thru a rebellion stage and that i don't understand anything. But it's whatever sooner or later I'll just lose my mind.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not about her not liking me being gay i could care lesd. It's what i wrote in the big paragraph but thank you anyways. I just don't know what to do and i hate that i have to stay with her. I thought about rinning away but no one understands and they think im just going thru a rebellion stage and that i don't understand anything. But it's whatever sooner or later I'll just lose my mind.
Running away (whether it be to your onscreen friend, or elsewhere) is NOT going to help you. Please speak to someone - you need to be in counseling/therapy for many reasons, not the least of which is your home situation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
They think you are going through a rebellion stage because you are going through a rebellion stage.

You are 15.

Your mother is not about to voluntarily give up her parental rights, judging by the fact that she cares enough to make your life miserable. You have not mentioned your father. If he is alive, he also has parental rights.

In order to get what you want, *legally*, your legal parents would have to voluntarily give up their parental rights forever and agree to this stranger adopting you. Moreover, if they were at that point, it is likely that another family member would be preferred, especially if in state. Additionally, this stranger would have to hire a lawyer.

If your mother were deemed unfit, and you were removed from the home for that reason, placement in another home would most likely a foster home (in state) or, if you are lucky, with a relative, preferably in state. You would not be placed with an unrelated person with no family ties over 1,000 miles away. It certainly would not happen without this stranger hiring a lawyer.

If your mother died, your friend's mother 1,000 miles away would *still* be highly unlikely to be allowed to adopt you - and certainly could not do so without hiring a lawyer. Especially since it is possible that your mother has already indicated in a will her wishes for the care of her minor children. Even if this stranger lived in your community, it is more likely that you would end up with one of your relatives in such a scenario.

My *legal* advice: seek help at your school.

Eekamouse

Here's what you do. You accept the fact that you are 15 years old and you are still too young to move out on your own so you have to stay home and follow your mother's rules. She's the one who is feeding you, clothing you, housing you, and raising you. You are too young and too naive to make adult decisions. You sound like a spoiled, dramatic brat who is mad that she can't do what she wants. Your mother is not a monster because she is not letting you do what you want. She's parenting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">