• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boyfriend adopt my daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isis1

Yes, if he can pass a home study and qualify to adopt as a single, he may be able to adopt your child - if dad agrees. However, it won't be as a stepparent, it would be as a single parent. At some point after you marry him, you can do a step parent adoption and become the child's mother legally. ;)
off topic, so sorry

just for my own pure nosiness, in order for b/f who refuses to marry mom, and since dad is willing to give up rights, in order for this to be done, MOM would have to give up her rights as well??

mom would be nutts to hand over her child to b/f like that :eek:

CourtClerk

off topic, so sorry

just for my own pure nosiness, in order for b/f who refuses to marry mom, and since dad is willing to give up rights, in order for this to be done, MOM would have to give up her rights as well??
Yes
mom would be nutts to hand over her child to b/f like that :eek:
I'm surprised you haven't noticed yet by reading this board. Some women don't THINK. They let love lead them....:rolleyes:

nextwife

Nextwife, you are missing it completely just so you can go on your banter with how many people you know who have done (and I'm surprised your parents haven't done it). Do you realize that the OP is asking how her boyfriend can adopt her child and terminate JUST the father's rights?

So what. You had no relationship with either of your child's bioparents. Are one of your child's bioparents STILL their parent or are you and your husband your child's sole legal parents????
Yes, I realized what she intended to ask.

I responded to what she did actually ask, which was basically : Can my boyfriend ADOPT my child. (which was NOT "can he do a step adoption") :

Yes, if he can pass a home study and qualify to adopt as a single, he may be able to adopt your child - if dad agrees. However, it won't be as a stepparent, it would be as a single parent. At some point after you marry him, you can do a step parent adoption and become the child's mother legally.​

To which MY response was then responded to, to say that a judge would never allow someone who doesn't even have a relationship with Mom to adopt . . .

Thus my subsequent response that doing a legal adoption does not require a relationship with the bioparent(s).

My response WAS legally correct: Her boyfriend "can" adopt" this child or any other child in which the bio-parents are willing if he can pass a home study and is otherwise qualified, as a single adoptive parent, without the requirement of a commitment to one of the bioparents.

That is the only adoption that can occur of this child by boyfriend under the current relationship.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Okay..so let's circle back.

Boyfriend may adopt sooner than the wedding date ONLY if he qualifies as a single parent AND BOTH mom and dad relinquish their rights to the child.

Otherwise, boyfriend must wait until marriage to adopt a child WITH the mother.

nextwife

Okay..so let's circle back.

Boyfriend may adopt sooner than the wedding date ONLY if he qualifies as a single parent AND BOTH mom and dad relinquish their rights to the child.

Otherwise, boyfriend must wait until marriage to adopt a child WITH the mother.
:) Exactly! :)

kelseycaldwell

Add on to the question...

Alright lets clarify...boyfriend is not just some random guy with no ties to my child. My 6 month old son is his. So he is the father to my other child. The only reason that we are not married is because we dont have enough to do a real wedding and I dont want to do a court house one. Been there done that and won't again. So can he do an adoption as her father without me relinquishing my rights as well as her father? So I would be her legal mother and he would be her legal father?

Just Blue

Alright lets clarify...boyfriend is not just some random guy with no ties to my child. My 6 month old son is his. So he is the father to my other child. The only reason that we are not married is because we dont have enough to do a real wedding and I dont want to do a court house one. Been there done that and won't again. So can he do an adoption as her father without me relinquishing my rights as well as her father? So I would be her legal mother and he would be her legal father?
As it has already been pointed out very clearly on this thread...NO!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is a random guy with NO TIES to the child in question. The other child does NOT matter in this. Boyfriend is a legal stranger to you and baby.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A wedding is MUCH MUCH cheaper than a child. :rolleyes:

Indiana Filer

Do you want a marriage with this guy or just a wedding with him? It sounds to me like you think the ceremony is the important part, and it's the least important part. The marriage is the important thing.

CourtClerk

Do you want a marriage with this guy or just a wedding with him? It sounds to me like you think the ceremony is the important part, and it's the least important part. The marriage is the important thing.
I wonder why people want to get all traditional about having the party when they didn't care about being traditional when having the baby....:confused:

Stay tuned, if the party is more important than the union itself (and you can't say it isn't because you've already admitted you want the party more than the union), I'll be waiting for the posting in the divorce forum.

kelseycaldwell

I want a marriage...let me explain why I won't do it at the court. I did that with my ex and my family is very religious. There fore I went almost a year without half of my family talking to me because of it...I will not go thru that one again. I dont care about the party, I care about the ceremony...or have you never been to a wedding? The ceremony is before the party...remember? And with my family it will be a religious ceremony.

By the way for all who said no I cant have him do this in CA...I spoke with an adoption expert "in my area" and yes I can have it done. Just so that you dont post wrong advice to anyone elses question

CourtClerk

I want a marriage...let me explain why I won't do it at the court. I did that with my ex and my family is very religious. There fore I went almost a year without half of my family talking to me because of it...I will not go thru that one again. I dont care about the party, I care about the ceremony...or have you never been to a wedding? The ceremony is before the party...remember? And with my family it will be a religious ceremony.

By the way for all who said no I cant have him do this in CA...I spoke with an adoption expert "in my area" and yes I can have it done. Just so that you dont post wrong advice to anyone elses question
Did this adoption "expert" in your area show you an adoption petition and show you how it was going to be done without terming YOUR rights???? Is this adoption expert an attorney?

Oh, and as for the religiousness of your family, they obviously don't mind that out of wedlock baby and the divorce. At some point, you're going to have to grow up and stop worrrying about what your family thinks. It's wrecks marriages all the time.

cyjeff

here is what I would do.

Go ahead and have a civil ceremony... get that clock running... then have the party when you can afford it.

The IMPORTANT part, here, is not the wedding, but the stability of a family for the children.

THAT should be your primary goal... and tell the rest of the family that whenever they are willing to chip in and pay for the wedding, they can go ahead and set the date.

CourtClerk

Here's another incentive...

Regular adoption $$$$ lots of money PLUS the amount of the home study.

Stepparent adoption - $20 plus the cost of the home study, which they signficantly discount because it's a stepparent adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">