• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my husband adopt my daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annemarie715

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

At age 22 I was in college, going to parties, usually drinking. I am not proud to admit that most of those nights were a blur in the morning. When I found out Iwas pregnant, I had no idea by whom. I never tested anyone, filed anything with anyone. I just focused on my baby. I graduated, found a job and had my daughter in Nov 03. I am now 31 and married, expecting asecond child this fall. My husband would like to adopt her. There is no father's name on her birth certificate because, honestly, I did not know who it could have been. How difficult will this be and approximately what would this cost?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

At age 22 I was in college, going to parties, usually drinking. I am not proud to admit that most of those nights were a blur in the morning. When I found out Iwas pregnant, I had no idea by whom. I never tested anyone, filed anything with anyone. I just focused on my baby. I graduated, found a job and had my daughter in Nov 03. I am now 31 and married, expecting asecond child this fall. My husband would like to adopt her. There is no father's name on her birth certificate because, honestly, I did not know who it could have been. How difficult will this be and approximately what would this cost?
You will need the help of an adoption attorney. Adoption is never a process that should be taken on by a lay person. Many attorney's offices will give you a no-cost or low-cost initial consultation.

I wish you well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">