• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone with a felony conviction ever adopt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigHappyFamily

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

My husband and I would love to adopt. However, he has a felony conviction and spent 3 years in prison back in the early 80s. He is a completely different person now, having become born-again. Does the LAW prohibit us from adopting or is it at the discretion of the agency? or can we adopt privately if the birth mother is ok with it?

Thank you so much,
Christine

In Delaware adoptions go through the state or private agencies. In any event you'd have to see a judge.

A lot will depend on what he was convicted of.

It is possible, but will be difficult. Your first best step is to begin with a child already free for adoption - the birth parents rights are already terminated. Less people to object.

Good luck.

momofrose

Even if you adopt privately you would still have to go through a home study and part of that are questions regarding the adoptive parents history.

I suggest you find an agency and be completely 100% honest with them - 25 years ago is along time BUT it does depend on what the crime was.

"D"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">