• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you adopt from a Grandparent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEARZI

What is the name of your state? IL
Is it possible to adopt a child from a Grandparent if bio-mother lost her rights in court and skipped town, and the bio-father relinquished his rights at birth? Has anyone ever heard of this situation? Looking for some input. Please Help

mb94

I'm a little confused on the details. BioMom and BioDad have been TPR'd and gradmother legally adopted the child. Correct? As long as grandma has a legal adoption making her the parent of the child then she can sign her rights over to you. You will have to follow whatever your state adoption laws are (i.e. you might need a homestudy or background check). It will be a good idea to hire a lawyer who specializes in adoption to make sure all the ducks are in a row. It should not be very expensive if all parties are in agreement.

There's something a little funny about the story in that typically biofathers can't simply sign away their rights at birth. This is why a lawyer would be helpful to make sure that everything is done correctly since adoption law is very complicated.

nextwife

mb94 said:
I'm a little confused on the details. BioMom and BioDad have been TPR'd and gradmother legally adopted the child. Correct? As long as grandma has a legal adoption making her the parent of the child then she can sign her rights over to you. You will have to follow whatever your state adoption laws are (i.e. you might need a homestudy or background check). It will be a good idea to hire a lawyer who specializes in adoption to make sure all the ducks are in a row. It should not be very expensive if all parties are in agreement.

There's something a little funny about the story in that typically biofathers can't simply sign away their rights at birth. This is why a lawyer would be helpful to make sure that everything is done correctly since adoption law is very complicated.

She was already told that an attorney is a must in her previous thread.

BEARZI

adopting from a grandparent?

I just found out about this little boy last week, so all this is still new and I have alot of questions for the grandma about the parents. this is the first time I have ever seriously seriously thought of adopting and have never heard of this type of situation. From what I know the court gave grandma legal custody of the child. Bio-mom hasnt been seen since.
And YES I definitly plan on getting a lawyer who specializes in adoption.

BEARZI

adopting from grandparent

nextwife said:
Why did you start a NEW thread instead of posting on your other thread?

I am new to all of this, sorry didnt know it was be a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">