• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian Step-Child Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carmenmerrill

What is the name of your state? Washington, but will soon be Illinois.

I am really uncertain of how to go about having my son adopted by his step-father. I am a Canadian citizen, in the process of obtaining my US citizenship through my US citizen father. My son is also Canadian. His father is not on his birth certificate, and has never actively pursued any relationship with his son, financially or otherwise. I can contact him by email or phone, possibly, but that is it. (I have no address.) He resides in Canada.

My husband wishes to adopt my son. We are married and expecting our first child together. My husband has my child as his son and dependant in his military records, regardless of his immigration status, which has not been an issue.

How can we go about having my son adopted by my husband? I will appreciate advice, as I am unable to find many resources on the subject! Thank you so much!What is the name of your state?

nextwife

An "international adoption", one in which the child is a citizen of another nation and is controlled by their laws, requires that the child be legally available for adoption. That means that termination of biofather's rights and availability to adopt would be controlled by the applicable laws in Canada. You need to first check with the appropriate office of the Canadian government and pursue whatever they require in order for any potential biofather rights to be terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">