• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing childs name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommysprincess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello. My daughter has my last name. I will be getting married, not to the childs father, in a few months. I would obviously like her name to switch with mine to my fiances. I know that my fiance could not adopt her, as her bio-father has visitation, but would we be able to change her name so she could feel more part of the family. Im sure the bio-father would object to this just to be difficult, even tho she doesnt have his last name anyway. Could you tell me the process of doing this and how easy/hard a process it is? Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello. My daughter has my last name. I will be getting married, not to the childs father, in a few months. I would obviously like her name to switch with mine to my fiances. I know that my fiance could not adopt her, as her bio-father has visitation, but would we be able to change her name so she could feel more part of the family. Im sure the bio-father would object to this just to be difficult, even tho she doesnt have his last name anyway. Could you tell me the process of doing this and how easy/hard a process it is? Thank you.
The term is FATHER not biofather. If you want to change the child's name petition to have it changed to her FATHER's name. Having it changed to a legal stranger's last name is NOT going to fly with the court if dad objects at all. Your fiance is NO ONE to this child. Your fiance is NOT her family. her family is you and her FATHER.

Isis1

NOT going to happen. ever. until new B.U.D. adopts.

if you want to change her name. change it to her dad's.

or, you could keep your name and your new B.U.D could change HIS name to yours. then everyone would have the same name.

momofrose

No you can't - this is just a tactic you are trying to use - you should be ashamed of yourself.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You can't change this child's name every time you get a new man in your life. Her father is her father, and he has the legal rights of a parent regardless of how bad a parent you think he is. You chose him as the father of your child, you have to live with that decision.

And please spare me the "the birth control didn't work" whining. Sex makes babies. Period. Use better birth control, or the aspirin method.

Just Blue

but would we be able to change her name so she could feel more part of the family
If your child is made to feel she isn't a "part of the family" then changing her name won't change that. How about YOU change the way you behave toward your daughter so she feels included.

My little one has a different last name than I...Her feeling left out was NEVER an issue. Ever.

RRevak

If your child is made to feel she isn't a "part of the family" then changing her name won't change that. How about YOU change the way you behave toward your daughter so she feels included.

My little one has a different last name than I...Her feeling left out was NEVER an issue. Ever.
Ditto. My lil one has a different last name than my hubs and I and she never feels "left out". She's perfectly fine with the idea that she has a different last name because we have explained to her that she has the last name of her father because thats what he wanted to make her feel closer to him. If you act like a normal family than your child shouldnt have any reason to feel left out just because he/she has a last name thats different than yours. Cant oust dad just because you want to make a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">