• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child abandoment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alwaysbridal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california

My husband and I have had custody of our niece for one year. We took care of her for two years prior to taking the biological mother to court. I have not received any calls from the biological mother (my sister) nor has she seen Leanna since 6-6-04. She has not followed her court orders brought forth from mediation, which included her calling every Sunday to set up visitation for the following week, getting into a drug program, and having a place to live. I would like to file abandonment in hopes that this will allow us to permantly adopt Leanna with-out needing consent of the biological mother. I have no idea what our rights are and I have no idea how to get started. This child, my husband, and myself have a true bond and we have become a strong family unit. The "bio" mother has completly abandoned this situation. She still does'nt have employment, a place to live, and from what I hear still involved with drugs. I have not one number to reach her at as well, since she has never called me with any of that information. She has been arrested two times this month. The father has also been incarserated for the most part of these three years. I have my 1 yr. follow-up court date 9-1-05. Can I request abandonment to the judge at this time?? Or do I have to formally file??

Thank you

LdiJ

Alwaysbridal said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california

My husband and I have had custody of our niece for one year. We took care of her for two years prior to taking the biological mother to court. I have not received any calls from the biological mother (my sister) nor has she seen Leanna since 6-6-04. She has not followed her court orders brought forth from mediation, which included her calling every Sunday to set up visitation for the following week, getting into a drug program, and having a place to live. I would like to file abandonment in hopes that this will allow us to permantly adopt Leanna with-out needing consent of the biological mother. I have no idea what our rights are and I have no idea how to get started. This child, my husband, and myself have a true bond and we have become a strong family unit. The "bio" mother has completly abandoned this situation. She still does'nt have employment, a place to live, and from what I hear still involved with drugs. I have not one number to reach her at as well, since she has never called me with any of that information. She has been arrested two times this month. The father has also been incarserated for the most part of these three years. I have my 1 yr. follow-up court date 9-1-05. Can I request abandonment to the judge at this time?? Or do I have to formally file??

Thank you
Adoption is not a "do it yourself" project. You really need an attorney. Consult one ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">