• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Abandonment / Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bulldogs1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Divorced in 11/2004 with joint legal custody. Our daughter was 1.5 years old. Her father would excercise his visitation from time to time and then one day in 2005 he said that he was moving to KY and was on his way there now. He would call our daughter once in a blue moon and I took her to KY once and let her stay for 3 weeks, but after she got back he quit calling and has been gone ever since. My current husband now has been the only father that my daughter remembers as she is 5.5 years old now. I have been told that I would have to do an out of state adoption and this would cost $3,500. I don't have that sort of money but I am concerned about my daughter as I have other children now and they all have my last name except for her, as she still has my ex husband's last name. Can I file child abandonment and if so how, where, and how much does this cost??? Also, after that can I petition the courts for a name change or then do I go thru the adoption process with my current husband??? I'm so confused!!! Please help, I need good advise from people who think outside of the box...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You've got two threads. One is male, one is female.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/i-want-see-my-kids-more-452075.html#post2168584

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Divorced in Feb 2005 with joint legal custody. I get visitation every other weekend for 48 hours and every other holiday, every other spring break but that's it. I pay $600 child support for our two children and my ex refuses to let me see them more than what is court ordered. Is it possible to get more time with my children? I want to get them every Wednesday from 5pm to 9:30pm and I want them on more school breaks like winter break, fall break, etc. I also get 2, 2 week periods in the summer. OR is it best to just go for custody. They are 6 and 8 years old now and want to come live with me and my wife and their brother and sister. I don't know what route to go as nothing can be worked out with my ex b/c she can't get over the fact that I am married with two other children. Please help...
We don't do homework. :rolleyes:

bulldogs1983

What homework???
1. Is my daughter's situation
2. Is my husband's daughters's situations

I am sure some of this I can do the leg work on. Just don't know where to get started!!! If you don't care about the situation of all children involved then please don't reply...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What homework???
1. Is my daughter's situation
2. Is my husband's daughters's situations

I am sure some of this I can do the leg work on. Just don't know where to get started!!! If you don't care about the situation of all children involved then please don't reply...
We care about children so don't even go there. What we dont' like is people who lie. Which you have done by presenting YOURSELF as TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

As for your situation get an attorney. Pay him or her. Then you may get what you want. You cannot file abandonment. Grounds for the adoption can be abandonment but that is all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">