• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child before marrage name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Childprotector3

What is the name of your state? Pa

My wife and I had a child before we were married now we want to change his name. I am the listed father on his birth certificate and we have been married for several years he is now 10yrs old. Can we change his name legally without a lawyer and going to court IE: a form mailed to the court house or something? Or do we have to consult a lawyer and pay big bucks?

Thanks
Christopher & Jennifer
[email protected]

Childprotector3 said:
What is the name of your state? Pa

My wife and I had a child before we were married now we want to change his name. I am the listed father on his birth certificate and we have been married for several years he is now 10yrs old. Can we change his name legally without a lawyer and going to court IE: a form mailed to the court house or something? Or do we have to consult a lawyer and pay big bucks?

Thanks
Christopher & Jennifer
[email protected]

My response:

Highly unlikely at his age. The problem you'll have is that your 10 year old has been known by a certain name for too many years; e.g., he has been known in the community by one name, and not another. Also, the court has to take into account the potential for embarrassment, etc.; e.g., how is a 10 year old going to properly explain to his friends at school that he's no longer "Smith" and now is "Jones"?

The older your child gets, the more difficult, if not impossible, this becomes.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">