• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support, adoption, abandonment, sigh

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renae82

What is the name of your state? Arizona/Colorado

My son is almost 6 years old. He was born in Colorado.Was never married to father. Child support and paternity were established at age 1. No visitation agreement was ever established. Father hasn't paid court ordered support in about a year owes $6700. Haven't heard from father in 3 years.
I moved to Arizona about 6 months ago. I am getting married next year and my husband and I would like for him to be able to adopt my son.
Don't care about previous child support due. Just want to move on.
Willing to get a lawyer but what can I expect to happen with this? Just so I can be prepared.
Also father has never had anything to do with my son, never played with him, taken him anywhere, nothing.
Thanks

Last edited:

nextwife

In all fairness to your future husband, don't you think you should give the marriage some TIME before planning his adoption and assumption of financial resonsibility for another man's child? This forum is FULL of regretful moms and dads who did stepparent adoptions FAR too early in the relationship.

Also, most states will require you to have at least a year (or two) or marriage before a step adoption may be done.

Renae82

Thanks I will look into the law here.
As for him, I have known him for ten years and there is no doubt. I get what you are saying I really do.
Just kinda wanted to know what we can expect about the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">