• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emg926

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania, Delaware County
My husband was born out of wedlock in 1946. His mother married when he was 6 years old and together they raised my husband until we married in 1970. However, his stepfather never legally adopted him. He treated my husband as his own child, and paid for his entire support. My husband went all through school and US Army (Viet Nam) with his stepfather's last name. In 1980 we discovered that my husband had 7 brothers and 1 sister by his biological father. When we approached his mother, she became beligerant and would not discuss anything with us. She actually stopped talking to us for 10+ years. In 1980 we changed our last name (and our son's last name) to match his biological father's last name, even he had passed away just 1 year previously. My husband's stepfather passed away in 1995 and we have been taking care of his mother ever since. My question: is my husband entitled to any inheritance from his stepfather's sister's estate? Thank you for your help.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania, Delaware County
My husband was born out of wedlock in 1946. His mother married when he was 6 years old and together they raised my husband until we married in 1970. However, his stepfather never legally adopted him. He treated my husband as his own child, and paid for his entire support. My husband went all through school and US Army (Viet Nam) with his stepfather's last name. In 1980 we discovered that my husband had 7 brothers and 1 sister by his biological father. When we approached his mother, she became beligerant and would not discuss anything with us. She actually stopped talking to us for 10+ years. In 1980 we changed our last name (and our son's last name) to match his biological father's last name, even he had passed away just 1 year previously. My husband's stepfather passed away in 1995 and we have been taking care of his mother ever since. My question: is my husband entitled to any inheritance from his stepfather's sister's estate? Thank you for your help.
not unless he is specifically named as an heir in the will.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband's stepfather passed away in 1995 and we have been taking care of his mother ever since. My question: is my husband entitled to any inheritance from his stepfather's sister's estate? Thank you for your help.
So, stepdad wasn't good enough to keep his name, but he's good enough to make a grab for his estate :(

nextwife

In 1980 we changed our last name (and our son's last name) to match his biological father's last name, even he had passed away just 1 year previously. . . .

is my husband entitled to any inheritance from his stepfather's sister's estate? Thank you for your help.
So, after deliberately removing any vestige of stepdad acting as father to him, he wants to inherit from a RELATIVE of the same stepdad whose name he didn't want to carry?

milspecgirl

the legal answer is no- unless he was specifically named in the will
and the whole idea of even asking is disgusting

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">