• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent for Adoption by StepFather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLFreddie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This relates to the child residing in Tennessee. I reside in Virginia.

I was recently approached by a lawyer and want to make sure I am informed before moving forward.

In 2007 I was married to a women spur of the moment who i knew for only a month. We then separated. In 2009 I was contacted regarding the divorce where they informed me that there was a child which I was placed on the birth certificate for. They requested a Paternity test which I drove down to TN to perform but the establishment did not seem as reputable as I expected. The results were that I was the father.

My Ex-Wife's lawyer stated she had been with the man she was with now for a couple of years now, and assumed the fatherly duties of the child. They requested me sign my rights to him as the child had never met me and was already almost 2 years old. At this time I decided it was the right thing to do since they were a family and it's the only one the child ever knew. The divorce was finalized and I went on with me life knowing that the child was a part of a complete family.

Flash forward to yesterday. The same lawyer contacted me stating that my ex-wife and that man are "ready to move forward with the adoption I anticipated at the time of divorce." My Ex Wife married the man and has been married for several years. I still have had no contact with them or the child by their wishes. I said I thought that was already completed, but she said I could sign a voluntary consent to co-petition the adoption to make it go more smoothly. This in itself did not sound bad, but then she stated that a part of the paperwork would be abandonment and unpaid child support by me. I have never been contacted about child support or knew anything about that. I was under the understanding the child had an assumed father and I signed away my parental obligations 8 years ago as to not get in the way of the family they had created. She says my Ex-Wife isn't seeking any in payments, but she cannot guarantee she will not in the future. I am afraid of what I may have to sign to give consent for adoption.

Any advice? THank you all in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This relates to the child residing in Tennessee. I reside in Virginia.

I was recently approached by a lawyer and want to make sure I am informed before moving forward.

In 2007 I was married to a women spur of the moment who i knew for only a month. We then separated. In 2009 I was contacted regarding the divorce where they informed me that there was a child which I was placed on the birth certificate for. They requested a Paternity test which I drove down to TN to perform but the establishment did not seem as reputable as I expected. The results were that I was the father.

My Ex-Wife's lawyer stated she had been with the man she was with now for a couple of years now, and assumed the fatherly duties of the child. They requested me sign my rights to him as the child had never met me and was already almost 2 years old. At this time I decided it was the right thing to do since they were a family and it's the only one the child ever knew. The divorce was finalized and I went on with me life knowing that the child was a part of a complete family.

Flash forward to yesterday. The same lawyer contacted me stating that my ex-wife and that man are "ready to move forward with the adoption I anticipated at the time of divorce." My Ex Wife married the man and has been married for several years. I still have had no contact with them or the child by their wishes. I said I thought that was already completed, but she said I could sign a voluntary consent to co-petition the adoption to make it go more smoothly. This in itself did not sound bad, but then she stated that a part of the paperwork would be abandonment and unpaid child support by me. I have never been contacted about child support or knew anything about that. I was under the understanding the child had an assumed father and I signed away my parental obligations 8 years ago as to not get in the way of the family they had created. She says my Ex-Wife isn't seeking any in payments, but she cannot guarantee she will not in the future. I am afraid of what I may have to sign to give consent for adoption.

Any advice? THank you all in advance.
You by your own words have not paid child support and you did abandon the child. Therefore those things are correct. Never been contacted by child support matters not. You have not supported the child. That is the point.

Gracie3787

Any advice? THank you all in advance.[/QUOTE

There are times when getting a consult in person is really the only way, this is one of those times.
Gather up ALL of the papers from your divorce and take them to a local attorney for a consult. If you don't have ALL the papers, you can get copies by going to the court clerk's office where the divorce was done. Actually, going to read that file, or sending for copies of it all can be a real help also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">