• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contact before 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

civilian63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

Hello, almost 18 years ago, I gave up my son to my girlfriend for adoption. She wanted to adopt him to keep me out of his life. My Female lawyer told me it would be in the best interest of my son for me to let her adopt him, because the mother hated me so much, but she was a loving mother to my son.

He made contact with me a couple months back, because he needed to find me because his home life was that bad.

It turns out he has had an awful upbringing with his stepdad. He had to go to therapy when he 8 because his stepdad was verbally abusive to him and his mother he has told me.

The question I have is since he made contact with me, can she bring me to court for violating the adoption paperwork of no contact before he turns 18?

What about her not giving him the great upbringing that she promised? He told her that he wants to find me, and she said there would be no consequences for him, meening she would be probably go after me.

She is stuck in an awful marriage with her abusive husband, and I feel she will probably go after me.

Any advice? And thank you for your help.

civilian63

Yes, she is the mother of my son.

Also, he wants to be with me, my wife and our son. He's only known us for a couple months, and he just wants to be with us. It's an awful situation seeing your son being so miserble, and there's not much I can do but wait until he turns 18.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, she is the mother of my son.

Also, he wants to be with me, my wife and our son. He's only known us for a couple months, and he just wants to be with us. It's an awful situation seeing your son being so miserble, and there's not much I can do but wait until he turns 18.
See, the problem is that, LEGALLY, he is not "your son". When he turns 18, he's an adult (generally). If you gave him up "almost 18 years ago", then you don't have long to wait. If you are court-ordered to not have any contact, then obey the court order.

momofrose

How did the Mother adopt a child that is already her's?
I'm confused.
I assume OP meant for the hom to let mom's husband adopt the child...

I agree with other posters..adoption is final and he is NOT legally your son. Now, he will be 18 in a few months,you say...can he not stick it out until he is a legal adult and can move out without any issues from mom and dad?

I mean unless there is abuse, I am not seeing an urgency here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am seeing it this way -- he "gave up his rights" at birth and didn't pursue visitation and/or pay child support. Hence he believes that because of that he has no rights to the child. Due to a side agreement he made with mom that he would not have contact until the child turned 18. And at birth he did this? That poses other questions -- if she was married AT BIRTH OF THE CHILD then legally this child was not his anyway so there would be nothing to give up. Or if she was in a stable enough marriage at that time....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">