• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costs and process for stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Majormods

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm the stepfather to 9yo and 5yo children. The bio dad has been out of the 9yo life since age 3 and he has no recollection of the bio dad. The 5yo has never met him. He has a cs order but hasn't paid for years. We want to be sure I'm the legal father on record and the bio dad has no issues with it but he lives in another state. We want to do this pro se. What are the estimated costs? Will the bio dad need to sign anything? Any suggestions and help is appreciated! We don't have alot of money to spend but really need to have this process completed.

Thanks!

justalayman

Adoptions are one area it is really a better idea to use the services of a lawyer. A mistake in an adoption could lead to some serious issues in the future.

Any idea whether the bio father may object to the termination of his parental rights and you adopting them?

Majormods

He is willing to sign over termination if we reduce the owed back child support by 50%. The trouble is he is in FL so it's difficult to get all of us in front of a notary at the same time to sign the termination.

I'mTheFather

He is willing to sign over termination if we reduce the owed back child support by 50%. The trouble is he is in FL so it's difficult to get all of us in front of a notary at the same time to sign the termination.
ESPECIALLY because of his reason for terminating his rights, you need to consult with a lawyer.

ecmst12

In some states, it's illegal to forgive back CS in exchange for terminating rights. As it should be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">