• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have a case for child abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof4ia

Well. This is a LEGAL FORUM.

Perhaps you should visit :
I Want To Vent!
Have a nice Good Friday.:)
Yes exactly this is a legal forum, that is why I came here to find this out...and since I obviously did not get the kind of answer I was hoping for, I now see that the law is very flawed. pardon me for venting some frustration about that. You have no need to worry I will not be returning to this website for anything in the future. To those of you that were helpful thank you very much for your time!

Just Blue

Yes exactly this is a legal forum, that is why I came here to find this out...and since I obviously did not get the kind of answer I was hoping for, I now see that the law is very flawed. !
So. The laws of this country do not bend to YOUR thought process therefor are "flawed". Interesting. :rolleyes:

momof4ia

So. The laws of this country do not bend to YOUR thought process therefor are "flawed". Interesting. :rolleyes:
I am not alone in this feeling. I do not think that fathers that do not care about their children enough to see them on a regular basis deserve to have the law on their side, my husband and I have been raising this child with very little help from the biological father for nearly 4 years and yet he can't take our name even though he wants to. That is flawed to me and many, many others. It is not just because "it does not bend to my thought process" its because it is not in the best interest of my child. My child deserves better than this. You can demean me all you want that only shows that you are a small person.

Understand your frustration. The reason abandonment is a difficult thing to gain is because parenting your child is a precious Constitutionally protected right.

So stripping someones right of that, while possible, is very serious and can be difficult against objection from natural parent. Every state is different, I'd consult with a local attorney to see what the current court climate regarding it are.

JBradley

?

I am in the same situation, only it's different. My son was born in 2008. His biological father has never once seen him. His now ex wife sent me $20 once. He's never paid child support. How does abandonment work?? Need some help.

JBradley

I also forgot to mention the father has previously had his rights to his other children stripped by the State of Iowa, in 2006.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest two things.

First, start your own thread. It is considered bad form to hijack & necropost.

Second, you are going to need the assistance of an attorney. Period.

JBradley

Yeah so do I. That's the point. I make as much in a year what most lawyers probably make in less than a month.

Proserpina

Oh for Pete's sake...

JBradley - since you refuse to start your own thread, let's end this one right here, shall we?

You NEED an attorney if you're trying to claim abandonment on the part of the other parent.

Legal Aid will NOT take this type of case, and most family attorneys also won't touch it pro bono.

So, your options are:

1) Get three jobs to pay for the attorney

2) Forget the issue for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">