• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know where bio-dad is, can my husband adopt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhaley

What is the name of your state? TN
My ex lives in AZ...I think. We haven't heard from him in almost 2 years, and stopped receiving CS 6 months ago. (it was garnished from his check before he got fired) My husband and I have been married for almost 9 years, and he wants to adopt my 13-year old daughter.
I have tried to find bio-dad, and have even contacted his mom...no results. Before July 2006, his relationship with our daughter had consisted of maybe 1-2 visits per year and 3-4 phone calls per year since she was 5. CS has only been consistent when he has been married or had a live-in girlfriend who paid the support. (that I know of, he has been divorced 3 times and had 3 live-in fiances) This is why we had his wages garnished 2 years ago.
Obviously, he is an unfit parent, but does this legally count as neglect or abandonment?
Do we have to find him in order to proceed with the adoption?
Is this expensive?
Where do we start?
Thanks for the help.What is the name of your state?

Silverplum

Of course you have to find him. :rolleyes: And of course he must consent, unless the court finds that he has, indeed, abandoned the child according to TN's standards...and he hasn't done that at this point.

This is a VERY common question here. I strongly suggest you do some searching around the site.

My ex lives in AZ...I think. We haven't heard from him in almost 2 years, and stopped receiving CS 6 months ago. (it was garnished from his check before he got fired) My husband and I have been married for almost 9 years, and he wants to adopt my 13-year old daughter.
I have tried to find bio-dad, and have even contacted his mom...no results. Before July 2006, his relationship with our daughter had consisted of maybe 1-2 visits per year and 3-4 phone calls per year since she was 5. CS has only been consistent when he has been married or had a live-in girlfriend who paid the support. (that I know of, he has been divorced 3 times and had 3 live-in fiances) This is why we had his wages garnished 2 years ago.
Obviously, he is an unfit parent, but does this legally count as neglect or abandonment?
Do we have to find him in order to proceed with the adoption?
Is this expensive?
Where do we start?
Thanks for the help.What is the name of your state?

Gracie3787

My ex lives in AZ...I think. We haven't heard from him in almost 2 years, and stopped receiving CS 6 months ago. (it was garnished from his check before he got fired)
How do you know that he was fired?
If you know who his last employer was, that's a starting point for trying to locate him.

Are you sure that he is still alive? If you know his SS number you can try running it through the SS death index (forgot the addy, but just Google it).

Is the state CSE agency involved in the CS case? If so, they have access to data bases that they can use to try to locate him to enforce the CS order. (they probably won't tell you his address, but you will be able to get it off of the legal papers they will file for enforcement).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">