• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex stepmom/adopt ex stepdaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsyver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
ok as of this moment i am only putting my feelers out there...but, this is my story(a long one made short). i was briefly married in 03 and because my husband at the times daughters mother was deceased when she was an infant, i became her 'mom', the only mom she has basically ever had. she was going on 9 at that time. we only stayed together one year. it broke my heart to break my step daughters heart, but i could not stay in the abusive relationship with her father. 4 years passed with out contact with her. of course i wanted to but the situation with her father kept me from that, deciding it best not to interfere there. my hope was that she would walk back into my life one day, and she did, just a few months ago. backing up acouple of years, she was taken away from her father(for abuse)and custody was given to her grandfather(his dad). she is now going on 14 and we have been having some contact, with her grandfathers ok. her father apparently has issues with this, i can understand why he would, but as far as im concerned, he is no longer her 'dad' and his opinion does not count. apparently she still(or again)refers to me as 'mom', and has said she wishes i could adopt her or be her mom again. i am very happy that we have connected again and look forward to becoming close again, and we will for now go from here. a few of my friends, knowing the situation, have even suggested adopting or taking her in. i guess what im looking for here, looking ahead, is such a thing even a possibility? a(very)short term (ex)step mother gaining custody of a child whose father lost custody of?
and-and maybe this should be another post-she is made to see her father on weekends as he and his gfriend come 'home' to stay with them. i am not aware of what his visitation rights are or arent, but my belief is she should not be made to see or spend time with a father who abused her to the point of having her taken away from him.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">