• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX-stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmontz26

This is a little complicated so I will try to make it short. I live in Louisiana to start. My daughter is 8 yrs. old and has never seen or had any contact with her biological father. My now ex husband has raised her from the day she was born, supported her emotionally and financially even now that we are divorced. She knows the truth as of a year ago for reasons I won't go into here. I have had contact with the bio dad in the past 8 years but he is NOT on the birth certificate( noone is) and he has never seen her other than a photo and has never sent her any money or even a christmas card. I am wondering what needs to be done for my ex to legally adopt her. She wants to have the same last name as her sister(our 5 yr old ) and her "daddy". Like I said earlier, she knows that he is not her real dad but that in every way but blood, he is and always will be. Can someone give me some insight on this b/c my ex is a wonderful man and he has been her dad for 8 years and I feel that it's time to make it legal.

I hope I didn't ramble on and if anyone needs anymore info. please let me know.. Thanks a bunch.

D

dorenephilpot

Sounds like a case where you could do an adoption without bio dad's knowledge or consent, if you lived in Indiana.

However, you need to consult someone in your state to see what needs to be done in order for the adoption to happen.

T

tmontz26

Thanks, I hoped that we wouldn't need his consent. A few years ago when we were married, we did talk to a lawyer and were advised to inform the bio dad b/c I did know who he was and to get a feel as to whether or not he would consent or if it would be a battle. I did just that and he said he would have to think about it and I never heard from him after that. I have had letter contact with him but he hasn't asked to see her or offered to help support her or anything.
My ex did see a lawyer who suggested that we LIE and say that he is the father and I want him added to the birth certificate. I don't feel comfortable doing that b/c I know that one day it would come back to haunt us. But I will talk to a lawyer and see whether or not I need to have his consent. I do still have his social security # and driver's license #(my mother had this guy checked out when we met, I should've listened to her)

D

dorenephilpot

Hindsight is always 20-20.

We all have done things we regret!

And we can all say at least in one instance or two, "Mom was right!"

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">