• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mprnyc11

What is the name of your state? new york

my brother and his girlfriend, although financially capable, want to give their baby up for an open adoption (birth due date in december)

my parents (or even myself and my husband) would like to adopt the baby, what are their (our) legal rights, if any, if my brother and girlfriend do not want them to be the adoptive parents

T

titansfan

only mom and dad have rights

the only one who has legal rights is the gf. untill a paternity test proves your brother is the dad, he has no rights. once that is done, it is solely their decision who gets to adopt the child, if they want your parents or you and your husband to adopt the child, thats fine, but if they decide not to place the child with you, theres nothing legally you can do about it.you and your parents have no legal power to stop the adoption, nor do you have any legal standing to contest the adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">