• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father of 3 missing, stepdad wants to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eileen4055

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
However, the case is in Massachusetts probate courts.
My ex husband hasn't seen his three children in close to a year. He does not contact us, and I cannot get him to talk to me whenever I call him on his cell.
He refuses to provide an address and has been caught working without paying his support.
He hasn't paid a dime in support since August 2005(8 mo. or so ago), and owes close to $8,000.
He has virtually disappeared and has a warrant for failing to appear, also a court appointed constable attempting to apprehend him. A suspended drivers license...
I remarried last summer, and my husband would love to adopt the children. But without cooperation from my ex, can we even proceed with the adoption process? If he hasn't done anything by the time we file, can this go through without him present?
Also, a lawyer told us that my husband could legally adopt the children, while still requiring my ex to pay support? Which makes no sense to me. What would be the point? What's that all about?
Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

bononos

Eileen4055 said:
My ex husband hasn't seen his three children in close to a year. He does not contact us, and I cannot get him to talk to me whenever I call him on his cell.
He refuses to provide an address and has been caught working without paying his support.
He hasn't paid a dime in support since August 2005(8 mo. or so ago), and owes close to $8,000.
He has virtually disappeared and has a warrant for failing to appear, also a court appointed constable attempting to apprehend him. A suspended drivers license...
I remarried last summer, and my husband would love to adopt the children. But without cooperation from my ex, can we even proceed with the adoption process? If he hasn't done anything by the time we file, can this go through without him present?
Also, a lawyer told us that my husband could legally adopt the children, while still requiring my ex to pay support? Which makes no sense to me. What would be the point? What's that all about?
Your ex would owe arrears on support after an adoption, meaning the $8000. He would not owe the monthly amount anymore.

Just Blue

Eileen4055 said:

You could forgive the arrears if he will sign off on the adoption..let his family know what you want to do ...he may "pop out of the woodwork"...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">