• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father no where to be found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbear1997

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My son is 10 yrs old now and his bio dad has not see or talked to him ever. I have been married to my husband for 8 yrs. I have spoken to a couple of ladies who have gone through the same thing. My husband wants to adopt my son. Someone told me that if my son's realy dad has not seen or talked to him in 2 yrs he does not have any parental rights to the child and my husband can adopt with no problems. Is this true and how can I find out what to do. The Child support agency has tried for the first 3 yrs to find him and they can't. Please help with any info. Thanks.........

seniorjudge

Go hire a family law attorney.

I suspect that attorney will tell you that bio dad is no longer in the picture.

There are ways to "notify" him by publication (i.e., in the newspaper).

But do not fret.

Look in the Sunday edition of your local newspaper and there are those "BBY vs RDG, In the matter of the adoption of TNW" kinds of notices. No one knows what they mean but "the law" deems such silly notices as being valid.

tbear1997

thank you for your info. I guess I will have to look into what I need to and how to do it when I move to SC in about 2 1/2 weeks.

seniorjudge

tbear1997 said:
thank you for your info. I guess I will have to look into what I need to and how to do it when I move to SC in about 2 1/2 weeks.
You didn't mention that!

There may be residency requirements and more hoops to jump through since you will plan to move to another state.

It may look like (to some cynical bureaucrats) you are trying to make sure the bio dad never finds the kid.

Just something to watch out for....

brisgirl825

tbear1997

he talked to a friend of mine after my son was born and he told her that I did not want anything to do with me or him. He also has a daughter that he has never paid for ever. He has never tried to send me anything or talk to me. The child support agencie has tried to contact him at his mom and dad's and they keep returning the mail to them saying he does not live thier any more. I have looked and CS has looked but no luck. I will have to get an attorney to have them put it in the newspaper.

seniorjudge

tbear1997 said:
he talked to a friend of mine after my son was born and he told her that I did not want anything to do with me or him. He also has a daughter that he has never paid for ever. He has never tried to send me anything or talk to me. The child support agencie has tried to contact him at his mom and dad's and they keep returning the mail to them saying he does not live thier any more. I have looked and CS has looked but no luck. I will have to get an attorney to have them put it in the newspaper.
Re-write this leaving out all pronouns.

I got lost after the first six "he" references.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">